Newbie Needs Gear For New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

What do you folks think about this tool kit. It was shown to me when I finished my bike purchase. They don't have reviews on their website for anything but I know they do a lot of business. It's only $20.00 including shipping. I'm not sure what tools I will really need and what I won't or if my bike would need different sizes than what is offered here. Thanks!

vuelta_toolkit_2100.jpg

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
What do you folks think about this tool kit. It was shown to me when I finished my bike purchase. They don't have reviews on their website for anything but I know they do a lot of business. It's only $20.00 including shipping. I'm not sure what tools I will really need and what I won't or if my bike would need different sizes than what is offered here. Thanks!

vuelta_toolkit_2100.jpg
That looks like an excellent kit to take with you on the bike when you are riding. It has the puncture repair kit, tyre levers (though it only shows 2 and you really want 3), hex & torx keys in the most commonly needed sizes, and a chain splitter.

For home, it is useful if you have nothing else, but in the longer term, if maintaining your bike yourself, you will want stand alone tools rather than ones that are part of a multitool, and there are other tools you will be wanting such as a cassette removal tool, a chain whip and various other more specialized tools.

With multitools, the cheap ones often have very soft metal. Are there any extra bits you will never need. In my experience you almost never find good bike specific tools in yard sales but do find good grade allen keys, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers and other basic tools. Good cheap tools are better than bad cheap tools.

A rear luggage rack turns the bike from a toy into a tool. You can pack a fairly good load of shopping in 2 large pannier bags so turn every shop into saddle time.
Again there are lots if very poor racks that are complicated. Keep it non adjustable height , open frame top, no propriatory rail system, good triangulation. A rear lamp bracket is the best place for a lamp.

I like to keep a stash of essential spares a couple of tubes spare cables brake pads so I can shop for them in sales and replace parts when needed. If you find a spare helmet that fits your head shape well always good to have in reserve. Helmets degrade over several years esp if dropped.
Gloves or mitts: never ride without them. Ever.

LWeleven

Start of with cheap gear , make sure you are going to use what you buy ,
decathlon Aldi Lidl have reasonable stuff , may not last as long but no good going to fancy bike shop
paying fancy prices for it not to be use . I have a rear light only I never go out in the dark, my rain coat cost me £10;off marketplace just in case tho I dont think I’ve ever used it . My gloves are karrimor walking gloves pretty thin and they were cheap , bottoms and t shirts decathlon. They day I walk into a LBS and spend 50 or 100 on a piece of clothing I will lock myself up for going insane .😂😂😂 but that me

Top Bottom