Newbie North Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

I am looking to get into MTBing. i live in north wales and i was wondering if anyone could recommend some good newbie routes. i am pretty unfit at present so i am looking for stuff with a minimum of climbs to begin with.

cheers.
jim

john59

Guru
Jim77 said:
I am looking to get into MTBing. i live in north wales and i was wondering if anyone could recommend some good newbie routes. i am pretty unfit at present so i am looking for stuff with a minimum of climbs to begin with.

cheers.
jim

http://ridetheclwyds.com/rideclwyds/the_routes.asp

John:smile:

bonj2

edit: dunno what coed y brenin's like for beginners, you did say "newbie" routes. It has got blue and green routes though, which I'm sure are pretty good, also the 'tawr/temtiwr' trail isn't THAT hard. Also try llandegla which is near ruthin/

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Great thanks.

When it says 'technical' what does it mean exactly? I assume it means rocky bits does it?

I am more worried about hard climbs to be honest as i know my fitness isn't great. so any routes that are good for weaklings would be best! Would quite like something scenic too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My advice: go and buy one of these; the country is a maze of good rideable trails:

1133.jpg

ratty2k

Llandegla is IMO an ideal place for starting out. You have a big choice in routes, the climbs are not too bad and you can go there for a while till you gewt used to the plcae and then go on the red routes for a while. Once fitness has improved go do the blacks-
Plus a decent cafe and bikeshop at the end.
Not been for a loooong time myself, but thats only because I've been riding natural tails, saving the trail centers for winter when it gets too boggy up in the Dark Peak.

maurice

bonj said:
'tawr/temtiwr' trail isn't THAT hard. Also try llandegla which is near ruthin/

Isn't the tawr the ex-red bull trail? That is so not a beginner trail.

Llandegla is a good tip though, ideal for a beginner. If you live the other end of North Wales the Marin trail (near Betws y Coed) isn't too bad for beginners and has some nice sections.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

maurice said:

Llandegla is a good tip though, ideal for a beginner. If you live the other end of North Wales the Marin trail (near Betws y Coed) isn't too bad for beginners and has some nice sections.

Thanks.
Which is the busier centre Marin or Llandegla? What are the easier routes like at the Marin trail?

maurice

The Marin trail is just that - one trail. It's a halfway house between Llandegla and Coed y Brenin in terms of difficulty. (If you forget the easy peasy green family trails)

Marin is usually a lot quieter as Llandegla gets a lot of riders from Midlands / North West.

It's good though, some nice sections. I prefer Penmachno, but that is a bit more intimidating for beginners due to some of the singletrack only having half the recommended number of sides.

barq

maurice said:

Yep, that's the one - it's been slightly re jigged. Generally CYB has become rockier than it used to be. That's good in the sense that there is less mud/erosion, but does tend to make it slightly more technical (by cross country standards).

Its also worth saying that many of the trails start with granny-stoppers. Much of the climbing on the Tawr is early on - it gets it out the way and ensures a certain base level of fitness.

Top Bottom