Newbie on ebike to eventually cycle to work. Any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiggy

I'm planning on doing more commuting too, and on an ebike as well. Short distance and I have to take it easy due to Long Covid.

The cold got me the other day. Hands - I bought some warn cycling gloves. Neck - I make sure I wear my snood(neck thing). Groin - Still not sure what to do. Thinking maybe cycling shorts underneath my trousers.

Definitely go for panniers. You feel so much "freer" without a backpack.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Look for alternative routes: think bike, not car.
There might be a slightly longer way to work, but with less traffic and/or less hilly.

This.

Try cycling to your place of work when you have a free day so that you can explore alternative routes that may be quieter, easier and more enjoyable.

mustang1

Guru
Number one would be to buy a very secure lock/locks or get a secure storage facility at work .

Yeah definitely this. And OP mentioned shopping trips so will need really good bike locks.

If I need to go anywhere and leave my bike alone for longer than 5 minutes, I take my el cheapo bike and I still lock it with a minimum of three locks (two good quality D locks plus a cable lock to protect the saddle too.

OP, get some really good quality locks (spend the money on them) then keep them in the panniers. Your bike is already heavy so the additional weight shouldn't matter. Then lock your bike PROPERLY and still be under no illusions that's it's totally safe: every lock is breakable, then only thing you can do is deter a thief from targeting your bike.

In all honesty, e-bikes are brilliant except they are really expensive so are highly stealable.

I don't want to put you off, but get those locks, enjoy your bike, but just be aware when out and about, and ensure no one follows you home.

Regarding kit keep a few spares in your office drawer : inner tube, brake cable as well as socks, underpants ( new unused) for when you forget them.

Explore alternate routes. Sometimes there are unofficial routes that bypass difficult sections. Some riders are highly legalistic, other ride like bandits. You have to prioritise safety over the law when the two fail to align.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m getting the feeling I need to invest in locks as well as bike insurance!

Indeed, your bike insurance will usually require a certain level of lock. Think one if not two gold secure D locks. Leave at work if you can

Top Bottom