Newbie question re: freewheel hub!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smudger

I'm in the process of converting an old Triumph to single-speed (not fixed). I got my local bike shop to remove the cassette for me and I've bought a single speed cog with some spacers, but I think I'm missing a freewheel as there's nothing to screw the cog onto...! I've taken some pictures to show what I mean: https://picasaweb.google.com/110652643981507403487/BikeConversion?authuser=0&feat=directlink

If someone could advise what I need to buy to make this work, I'd much appreciate it. Apologies if the answer is obvious to most of you out there...! :smile:

Cheers,

David.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
David,

The cog and spacers you have bought are to convert a modern rear wheel. By modern, I mean from 8 gears and onwards, where the freewheel mechanism is contained in the hub and the cassette (the cluster of sprockets) slides on and is located by the splines.

Older bikes (7 gears or fewer) had the mechanism contained in the freewheel (the cluster of sprockets) and not the hub; it screws onto the hub, which is threaded and not splined.

This article explains the differences.

Your Triumph will be the older style, so your hub will be threaded and you just need a screw on freewheel (like one of these). I wonder if you are looking at the wrong side of the hub?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Your photos have me puzzled Smudger - I can't see a thread on that hub at all... so I can't understand how a freewheel was ever attached to that.

Top Bottom