Newbie question ( sorry)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wlc1

Hi all,

A quick question if I may ?

I have a road bike, an Allez tripple I am using for road riding, riding into work and for the odd triathlon ( I am new to all three).

Here is the question - I have two team kits - a CSC and team recycling - is it frowned upon in the cycling world if a newbie wears them ?

Does it have anything to do with speed on the bike - ie - does a really slow rider look a fool in team kits or vice versa.

I do 14 miles to work in 45 mins from surrey to london is that ok ?

I'm hearing alot about cadence - what is that ?

Sorry for the basic level of questions.

Thanks in advance.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
wlc1 said:

Sounds very OK, pretty quick what with the junctions and stuff.

OP
OP
wlc1

wlc1

Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been told to aim for between 90-110 rpm.

There is alot more to learn that just riding isn't there!!

Thanks all

RedBike

Here is the question - I have two team kits - a CSC and team recycling - is it frowned upon in the cycling world if a newbie wears them ?
No, although be carefull what you wear. For example if you wear say a polkadot jersey then everyone will expect you to be good on the hills.

18.5mph? Thats very respectable for commuting with stops/ traffic. As a rough guide you should be aiming to do 10 miles (without any delays) in under 30mins.

I'm hearing alot about cadence - what is that ?
How quickly you turn the pedals. Most people reckon 90rpm is a good cadence. This basically means you will push the one pedal (say the right) 90 times in one minute.

OP
OP
wlc1

wlc1

When I ride in to work it's at 0415am so there isn't much traffic... when I'm on nights it takes just over an hour.

Thanks for all your advice.

Tynan

Veteran
good time indeed, I crack on and look to be going at 20mph plus once I'm moving

takes me most of an hour to do 12.5 miles and and an average moving speed of 15.6mph

Im for mickle on this one if you like it wear it.

bonj2

I'd be tempted to go one further and say if it IS generally frowned upon to ride slowly while wearing team kit, then that would encourage me to put it on and pootle along at 10mph in it.

I like overtaking kitted out riders when I am wearing a baggy T shirt and normal shorts.

There is a bit of a thing that you are raising the expectation that you are good by getting the kit. But you are cracking along at a pace and i doubt if I would catch you!

I tend to be able to only pick off the old ones.

Top Bottom