newbie questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

argie

Have just become the proud owner of a road bike (last time I owned a bike was over 20 years ago) and wanted to ask some questions…

How long will it be before I feel safe on the thing?… (ie balanced and able to co-ordinate braking, gear changes and road positioning all at the same time)

What is the best position to place hands - down on the lower section of the bars, just above STI levers, near the stem or behind head? I find that after a matter of time I get numb hands, which is not good when I want to find the brakes, gears etc (I do wear fingerless gel padded gloves)

Is adjusting the rear and front mech something I can do (just to relieve some gear clatter on a couple of cogs) or is it a bike shop job?

Since when did we start accepting that roads needn’t be maintained all the way to the edge. There seems to be large imperfections (pot holes, etc) every few yards!

Saddle sore… is this cured by wearing your arse into the saddle, buying a better saddle or by wearing gel padded shorts?

Why is it that youths in shitty cars seem to spend so much time hanging out of passenger windows shouting what I imagine are nasty things at me? Despite the fact I don’t impede them going about their chav related business.

Punctures… should I carry a spare inner tube or should I expect to reasonably be able to repair a tube at the roadside? Also is it worthwhile getting slime filled tubes?

Many thanks for any answers!

Argie

montage

God Almighty
How long till you feel safe? - I doubt it will take you too long at all :rofl:

Best place to put hands? - the great thing about drop bars is the ability to put your hands anywhere. The more aerodynamic way is to put them on the drops (drops refers to the parts the drop down.) The Hoods I find more comfy (hoods being ontop of the STIs), but you can put your hands anywhere at all. Numb hands will dissappear soon enough - check the Health and fitness forum here.

Adjusting mechs - isn't too difficult but you need to ensure you have got it right. I am sure a quick google of "sheldon brown" or a trip into the know how section of this forum will yield you the answers.

Roads are never maintained - thanks council!

Shitty youths in cars - if you get the chance, let their tyres down :angry:

Padded shorts are a must to be honest.... go for the skin tight lycra. This should help. You can also try purchasing a new saddle if you really don't get on with your current one....there are some great cheaper saddles such as the "charge spoon - £25" which won't break the bank and have only positive comments .....but do attempt to get on with your current one first.

Punctures....spare inner tubes will save you alot of time and effort. Carrying a puncture repair kit is also worthwhile, incase you puncture on the spare :angry:

Have fun with the new bike!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Re the gear clatter - turn the bike upside down and slowly turn the pedal with the chain on the offending sprockets. Looking closely on how the chain nestles into the sprocket you should see it slightly catch the sprocket next to it which is causing the chatter. Then it is simply a case of turning the adjuster inorder to centralise the jockey wheel over the sprocket.

Then have a quick check through the rest of the gears and you should be ready to go.

Top Bottom