Newbie seeking advice on training regimes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi people
Just to introduce myself as a newbie to the forum.Greetings fron sunny Corby, Northants :-)
Only been cycling for a year or so, after doing the CTC for charity when my best mate was taken from us by Prostate Cancer.Got a bit of a bug from doing it, the sense of achievement was a great feeling.Just completed the London to Brighton, well chuffed with myself as I hadn't put in a lot of road time because of the rotten weather!
I am looking for a guru to pass on some advice about how I should train in order to complete Edinburgh to London, 440miles over 4 or 5 days. And also if anyone has a tried and tested route map I could follow.
thanks
corbybear

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi corbybear - welcome to CycleChat!

Sorry to hear about your mate.

There is a tried and tested route from London to Edinburgh and back, which i used on the London-Edinburgh-London audax event. There is a long-running thread on CycleChat about the next LEL event - thread here, and I'm sure if you ask a few questions there, they would be happy to help you. Who knows - you might even be inspired to join them!

OP
OP
C

corbybear

hi Colin
Thanks for the welcome.Took a quick look at the thread, think the LEL is just a bit out of my league,as I am 53 in July and my legs feel more like 63 after LTB yesterday!
Will post a few questions, once I have finalised the dates, as I am not planning to do it until September next year
I know I will need to put the miles in over winter and have bought a Cyclops turbo trainer to make sure I keep the training going.
I had seen the audax route map but was looking for the route Matt Baker(One Show)used, but haven't been able to find it yet. Might just have to email the One Show and ask him!
cheers

OP
OP
C

corbybear

Thanks for the welcome.
I am sure I'll find some sound advice in the threads. Actually found the route Matt Baker used so I can begin the year long planning in earnest. If I have a goal to aim for I find the training easier as it has a purpose. Incidently, does the saddle pain get any easier the more miles you put in ? I am struggling with both of the saddles I have for my road bike.(Fizik Pave & Specialized Toure Comp) Both came highly recommended on various website blogs but both are killing me ! Is there a type of saddle for longer trips or do I just have to tough it out and buy more Sudacreme ;-) Do I need to have my riding position checked out ??
Anyone, help ?
cheers

Top Bottom