Newbie to cycling (bit of back pain - advice?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iggy1969

Hello everbody,

I'm new to this website & this is my first post. I've only been riding for about six months now but found that I really enjoy it. Bit of excercise & good for losing a bit of weight.
I've got a bit of a problem with back pain now & then. It comes & goes. It used to be a lot worse, but then I found out I had the saddle set far too low. I've since raised it & it's a lot better, but is there anything else I can do, or will it go of it's own accord with more riding.
Also, I'm thinking of changing my bike. I've currently got a cheap low-end mountain bike (150 quid). But am thinking of getting a hybrid. I believe they're a lot more comfortable (i.e you're sat more upright). And I don't actually need a mountain bike. I'm mostly on roads, cycle paths & the odd bumpy lane here & there. No serious off-roading.
Any advice on makes of bike, brakes(disc or V), gears, saddle (suspension) etc. Front suspension - not many hybrids seem to have it, is it worth it. How much do I need to spend for decent suspension. I'm thinking of something in the region of 500 quid.

Cheers.

Ian.

Hi and welcome to the forum ... i'm relatively new to "Proper cycling" myself so i have'nt got a vast amount of knowledge to share with you but like you i currently have a Mountain Bike (Giant Terrago) and im looking at Hybrids as a better bike for the type of cycling i do and today i popped into my LBS to have a look at a GT Transeo 2.0 with hydraulic disc brakes and not only did it look very nice but it was alot comfier than my mountain bike and it is under your budget @ £399.00

Simon

OP
OP
Iggy1969

Iggy1969

Cheers Simon,

I've just edited my post. Front suspension on a hybrid, not many come with it. I've got it on my current bike & I find it useful for softening the bumps (tree roots) in my local cycle path. Is it it worth it on a hybrid? Any ideas.

Iggy ... many of the Hardcore cyclist seem to think that its a total waste of time ? extra weight - sapping momentum on pedal strokes etc etc but to be honest i like a bit of front suspension and the Hybrids only have about 50mm of travel and they are not as chunky as mountain bike front suspension forks and on the GT that i was looking at today you can lock the suspension off if you are riding on the road and dont want to use it

Simon

OP
OP
Iggy1969

Iggy1969

Cheers again,

You do know more than me. I didn't know you could lock it off. I think my wife's bike has got a little twisty thing (technical huh- you wouldn't think I was an engineer) at the top of the suspension. I'll have a look tomorrow, and mine as well. Like I say mine's just a 150 quid bike (Falcon) from the LBS. Like most people I just wanted to see if I liked it, so didn't spend a lot of money. I'm not one of these people who takes it that seriously, more of a t-shirt 'n' shorts guy.

Iggy ... some front forks will only have "A Thingy" to stiffen the spring inside the forks which will allow the suspension to still work but it'l be a little stiffer (suits you sir !) Lockout will actually stop the forks from compressing at all give you a rigid fork for on the road

Good Luck & Enjoy your Cycling

Simon

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Hi and welcome Iggy

For the back pain small adjustments make a big difference. If your saddle is tilted slightly back in can create stress as you reach forward.

Maybe slide the saddle forward on the rails slightly, or tilt your bars up a little.

Make small adjustments and see how you go.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Iggy1969

Iggy1969

I'll try sliding the saddle forward, I think there's a bit more adjustment left.

Cheers. Ian.

Maz

Guru
For your type of riding, make sure your next bike doesn't have suspension. They will sap your energy and slow your progress.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd agree a hybrid should be fine. A road bike is good, but if Iggy does want to ride the occasional rough track, a road bike might be unduly uncomfortable.

Personally, I do without suspension - apart from the blubber on my backside (and padded shorts on longer rides) and the pneumatic annular suspension all bikes come with - the tyres! Fitting tyres like Big Apples (big, wide, but smooth) can take the sting out of a lot of bumps, without dragging too much.

If you do want suspension, then yes, being able to lock it will help, but there are lighter options to consider - suspension seatposts, a really good saddle, the right tyres etc...

Not to say that you won't want a road bike some day, but if you are stull planning to ride tracks and stuff, it's no bad thing to have a hybrid. And when you do get the bug and want a faster bike for longer rides, the hybrid can be used as your hack about town... :laugh:

Top Bottom