Next Stage?

What should I do?

• Get the mountain bike (off-roading is loads of fun)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Get the road bike and retire the Carlton (its had its day)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
When I returned to cycling 8 months ago I almost bought a hybrid, but then decided (at the last minute) to service my old Carlton racer instead and ride that for a while to get a better idea of what I really wanted. After riding my Carlton for a few months I realized a hybrid wouldn't be for me and that ideally I'd like a modern road bike instead. But then I figured I'd already got a racer I was happy with and if I bought a new road bike I probably wouldn't wouldn't get that much in terms of additional performance and enjoyment. Also, I'd end up with 2 bikes that were both only suited to the road and so I figured that the most 'bang for the buck' in terms of enjoyment would be to buy a mountain bike instead (that way I'd end up with one road bike and one off-road bike). Anyway, that's what I'm planning to do unless you persuade me otherwise before weekend.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Depends on what riding you want to do. How about get a modern roadbike, a mountain bike and a folder just in case :biggrin: oh a fixed would be nice as well :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It is really only your decision to make. If you want to mainly ride on the roads then buy a road bike and if you want to go on the hills buy an mtb. I personally prefer road riding and take a lot of pleasure in my state of the art road bikes.

derall

Guru
It was a mountain bike that got me back into cycling, the Chilterns has some wonderful tracks and byways that just invite MTB fun. I did love the MTB, but after a neck injury I can no longer take the jolting of riding fast off-road. These days I am road / 'bent, and loving all the minor roads in the area.

So which to recommend if I had to recommend just one? No question: both.

Then add a 'bent and a folder just to cover all the bases.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I returned to cycling again a few years ago, using an old Falcon racer. Tried the MTB, but didn't really take to it, so bought a new road bike, & another old racer & .......

I rarely use the old Falcon nowadays, having a new modern bike is far more fun :biggrin:

iGaz

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Depends on what riding you want to do. How about get a modern roadbike, a mountain bike and a folder just in case :biggrin: oh a fixed would be nice as well :biggrin:

Get a Beach Cruiser as well to get to the shops in style to help choose your next ride!!:biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I was in exactly the same position as you a few years back. Bought a road bike, joined a club. Then I got a better road bike. Then I got a mountain bike (again - I had had one years ago). And then a folding bike... and so on.

If there's a lesson there it is that whatever you chose you will still end up with at least three bikes in a few years time!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Like 4F says, it depends on what riding you want to do. Unless you're mainly into off-road, it would seem a bit perverse to end up with a road bike you don't really rate and an MTB you don't use much. I'd invest in a good road bike, but then I ride 99% on the road. Where/how do you ride?

Dave5N

Über Member
Hey Shaun, get a 'crosser. Fun on and off road, and all the excuses in the world to bottle out of the nasty technical bits.

Top Bottom