Next trip: destination unknown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

As some may remember, I was planning next to complete the EuroVelo 6, from Novi Grad to the sea - as a ramp up towards doing the EuroVelo 13. Things got in the way, and I'm now downgrading my plans from "have a long adventure out of my comfort zone" to "have a nice cycling vacation well within my comfort zone, thank you very much". I'm thinking of several options, so maybe some folks may chime in here, pointing out considerations I may have missed, or proposing routes.

Overall, the plan is: have around 10 riding days with at least one rest day, riding on average 80-85 km per day, staying either in guesthouses or camping sites, mostly eating out (but having our cooking stuff with us just in case). We currently plan to go in May, so we'd like to make sure the weather is reasonably good where we go during that time. We would also like to be able to fly in and out without too much hassle, so a direct flight from Israel to the starting point and back from the finish line is a priority. I also prefer an A to B route, but not ruling out a circular or a star-like route at this point. I'm staying put in Europe at this point, no point in going further afield with both the time and money in short supply.

A few options I had in mind:
1. EV15, from Andermatt along the Rhine, to the Netherlands through Switzerland and Germany. We rode small portions of this route where it coincides with EV6, and we liked that part. From what I read, the route goes through some industry-heavy regions, but I'm not sure just how much that gets in a way of enjoyment.
2. EV17, the Rhone route. Also starts in Andermatt, but goes towards the Med, by way of Lucerne and Geneva, Lyon, Avignon and finishes near Marseille. Seems like a lovely route and, like the previous option, has the benefit of a direct flight by Swiss - the only company I know of that doesn't charge for a bike.
3. EV14, the center of Europe waters route. Starts in Zell am See, a lovely town from what I've seen, and goes through a hilly part of Austria to Graz, then over to Hungary, along the Balaton lake and finishes in the lovely Budapest (it actually goes further than that, but Budapest seems like a good finishing point).
4. My own route I've been dreaming of doing for years - before I ever did a cycling tour. It start in Warsaw, ride North towards the sea, finish in Rostock in Germany, in the wake of my grandfather who did the same route (as far as I could piece it together) 80 years previously, but his ride had no wheel, but rather 2 tracks instead.
5. Just for completeness - there's the rest of EV6, perhaps not all the way to the sea, but a nice change of pace with Serbian and Bulgarian country side, ancient monuments and the impressive Danube Gorge.

P.S. Just rechecked the Poland route - I have it broken down into 16 stages, so probably not realistic at this point. Options 1-3 are still in the game.

Last edited:
As some may remember, I was planning next to complete the EuroVelo 6, from Novi Grad to the sea - as a ramp up towards doing the EuroVelo 13. Things got in the way, and I'm now downgrading my plans from "have a long adventure out of my comfort zone" to "have a nice cycling vacation well within my comfort zone, thank you very much". I'm thinking of several options, so maybe some folks may chime in here, pointing out considerations I may have missed, or proposing routes.

Overall, the plan is: have around 10 riding days with at least one rest day, riding on average 80-85 km per day, staying either in guesthouses or camping sites, mostly eating out (but having our cooking stuff with us just in case). We currently plan to go in May, so we'd like to make sure the weather is reasonably good where we go during that time. We would also like to be able to fly in and out without too much hassle, so a direct flight from Israel to the starting point and back from the finish line is a priority. I also prefer an A to B route, but not ruling out a circular or a star-like route at this point. I'm staying put in Europe at this point, no point in going further afield with both the time and money in short supply.

A few options I had in mind:
1. EV15, from Andermatt along the Rhine, to the Netherlands through Switzerland and Germany. We rode small portions of this route where it coincides with EV6, and we liked that part. From what I read, the route goes through some industry-heavy regions, but I'm not sure just how much that gets in a way of enjoyment.
2. EV17, the Rhone route. Also starts in Andermatt, but goes towards the Med, by way of Lucerne and Geneva, Lyon, Avignon and finishes near Marseille. Seems like a lovely route and, like the previous option, has the benefit of a direct flight by Swiss - the only company I know of that doesn't charge for a bike.
3. EV14, the center of Europe waters route. Starts in Zell am See, a lovely town from what I've seen, and goes through a hilly part of Austria to Graz, then over to Hungary, along the Balaton lake and finishes in the lovely Budapest (it actually goes further than that, but Budapest seems like a good finishing point).
4. My own route I've been dreaming of doing for years - before I ever did a cycling tour. It start in Warsaw, ride North towards the sea, finish in Rostock in Germany, in the wake of my grandfather who did the same route (as far as I could piece it together) 80 years previously, but his ride had no wheel, but rather 2 tracks instead.
5. Just for completeness - there's the rest of EV6, perhaps not all the way to the sea, but a nice change of pace with Serbian and Bulgarian country side, ancient monuments and the impressive Danube Gorge.

P.S. Just rechecked the Poland route - I have it broken down into 16 stages, so probably not realistic at this point. Options 1-3 are still in the game.

5 options, only one of which you seem in any way passionate about? And that's rejected before the end?

Given your criteria, only EV 14 will work - the others are too long.

Amidst the options, the number of days, the average distance, the time of year, the logistics, there is barely a hint of a mention of your travelling companion? Maybe ask him what he'd like to do, where he's like to go? He must be coming to that age now where holidays with Dad may have competition?

My suggestion is to drop your EV obsession, pick a country or area that ye enjoyed and explore it a bit more in depth. EV routes, are after all, just a selection of local routes in sequence. France is full of wonderful places to cycle. Germany ditto. Great cycling from Austria to Italy and back again.

And if you're packing camping gear bear in mind that it slows you down, moreso if you actually use it. Dropping it may make the one route that you say you want to do achievable.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I did bits of the Rhone route, from Montélimar to Lyon, last year.

The last stretch to Lyon was unfinished and a bit of a rocky disaster on a road bike (we reverted to roads), but the rest was very well done however rather dull - a flat strip of tarmac through fields and scrubby woodland by the Rhone levées.

Nice for a day, but if it's all like that, rather dull for a week.

Going back from another airport makes logistics more difficult - needing to source bike boxes. I think if it were me, I'd consider a circular tour from whichever airport was the most inspiring to you. I have very happy memories of doing just that from Geneva, nearly 25 years ago.

The last stretch to Lyon was unfinished and a bit of a rocky disaster
I think this deserves to be highlighted. While EV routes are great in theory the reality can be different. Varying attitudes to cycling across the EU and varying attitudes to standards can lead to some interesting surprises!
It's always a good idea to refer to the official website and check on the status of any particular route. I believe they use different colours to denote the difference between planned and implemented. My suggestion is to look closely! ^_^

Top Bottom