Nexus hub lost gears after removing wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JackPack

Regular
Hi, I got a new bike with a Shimano SG-C6001-8D Nexus 8spd hub.

I researched how to disconnect the gear cable so I could remove the wheels and switch to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres; use an Allen key to turn the pulley, pop out the cable nut, disconnect outer casing. That went fine and I put the wheel back on.

But after reconnecting the gear cable, I've lost gears 7 and 8 and the two yellow dots are nearly aligned in 2nd gear, not 4th.

The Alien key port in the pulley is at 8 o'clock, not 9am, so I know it hasn't pulled the cable around the pulley enough. I've tried turning the pulley further away when putting the wheel back on and reconnecting it but it's made no difference.

While I'm pretty sure I tested clicking through all 8 gears and it was fine before my intervention, I can't swear on that.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

You need to align the yellow dots in 4th gear. Check that the bolt on the cable is seated in the cassette arm. Same for cable outer

OP
OP
J

JackPack

Regular
Is it normal to have to realign the gears and cable after disconnecting the hub? I kind of expected it be unaffected.

OP
OP
J

JackPack

Regular
Perfectly normal with any hub gear I've seen.

That's a relief, I thought I'd done something wrong.

I thought adjusting gears was due to cable stretch and all the videos of removing the wheel don't mention the gears need adjusting afterwards.

Thanks!

OP
OP
J

JackPack

Regular
I adjusted it and have all 8 gears again.

I did find going up to 8th then back to 4th can make it misaligned, so I go from 4th to 1st and 4th to 8th to double check it stays aligned.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom