Nice ride? - Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish area plus Ferry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Viewing Cycle.Travel for areas to go on my list of future possiblities.
I wondered if the bike paths down each side of the river Exe, possibly ferrying across to do the opposite bank is worth the trip down for a couple of days idling about near the water.

- Whats the ferry like with bikes? Would I need to pre-book?

- I went to Exeter very briefly years back and liked it. Cant decided from the map if biking down the river sides would be rather lovely or very dull.

- I have no recall at all of the towns of Exmouth, Dawlish or Budleigh Salterton, so doubt I have been to them - nice places?

Thanks for any info.

All uphill

Still rolling along
These are among my favourite rides. I prefer the Exmouth side, but enjoy both. Exeter is, imo, a lovely city.

Be aware that these are popular holiday areas so there will be lots of people walking and cycling at peak times.

I've not used the ferry.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ferry from exemouth to starcross is a turn up and see if they have room , from what i have seen as a tourist even peak summer time theres room for the bikes that sit on the top deck .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My sister has moved down to that area and my niece lives in Exmouth so I have cycled on the paths on both sides of the river many times. I like them.

Yes, the paths are popular with cyclists and walkers but you just have to watch out for them. I find that at commuting times lots of fit cyclists overtake me in both directions.

There is a really nice cycle path from Exmouth to Budleigh Salterton...

Path Exmouth Budleigh Salterton.jpg

... and I found a quiet way to extend that to Otterton where there is a good cafe at Otterton Mill. (See attached GPX file.)

I usually do a detour to the lovely beach at Exmouth to buy an ice cream on my way back but not when there are lots of tourists queuing... it can take 30+ minutes to get served!

I haven't used the ferry yet but I will do so this year, maybe when I go down next month. I was just checking - they should be running again next week after the winter layoff but have texted them to ask for confirmation. There is a warning - CASH ONLY! (And don't rely on being able to get cash in Starcross, so take cash with you.) EXE explorer leaflet.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Route_from_Exmouth_to_Otterton.gpx
    23.7 KB · Views: 6

KeithLackie

I live in Exeter and often use both routes for a jolly of an evening. They are shared use (cyclists, walkers, dogs, roaming kids etc.). I find that you just need to be aware of this and take your time. The main traffic is largely close to Exeter, and close to Powderham (on the Dawlish side) or Darts Farm/Topsham (on the Exmouth side).

There are plenty of pubs and interesting places to stop at on the way (Topsham has a 'cycle through' cafe :smile:)

I too would recommend extending to Budleigh and on to Otterton. I haven't yet visited the café but I understand the pub is nice.

I haven't used the ferries.

There is also a nice cycle from Totnes that goes around to Ashprington and through quiet lanes to Dittisham. I'd recommend picking up Jack Thurston's Westcountry book.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom