Nice vectra driver....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know the title seems like an oxymoron :angry:

We all make mistakes (I made one at the beginning of my journey thanks to a van parked on a corner, so intent on trying to see around that, very nearly didn't see the mondeo approaching from the left :biggrin:)

Anyway, a main dual carriageway I usually avoid at rush hour due to the nature of stop-start traffic and narrow lanes, but my normal route is a bit slippery

One car whizzes by just about a foot away, the vectra behind I can only assume was following not really looking, gave me all of 3 inches between my bar end and his mirror.

Caught up half way down the hill and (shows politeness is sometimes better than rage) pulled up alongside and simply said "3 inches isn't really enough sir", he asked "what's that", and I told him the distance between me and him when he passed.

He did seem genuinely apologetic, and perhaps without anyone getting worked up into a rage, he may make a conscious effort to leave a little more space in future..

Only problem is, you know those "what I SHOULD have said..." things you get after the event. Well, this time I had all kinds of quips and smart comments already scripted about whatever he might try to convince his wife...and because he was a nice chap I didn't get chance to use them :biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
I think you dealt with it well, it's better to try the calm route first. Unfortunately, calm isnt always how you feel at moments like those.

Thinking about the Vectra driver (who's behind the car that gave you little room). I think what happens is i always get nervous when someone overtakes close, because that means the guy behind him has even less chance of seeing you. That'd be the Vectra driver.

Does that make sense ?:ohmy:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, the calm route is often the most winning way to deal with it, but also the hardest for us to pull out when fight or flight is grabbing us by the hindbrain.

When you get a close overtake, it's well worth putting out a loud "OI" and making a pushing out to the right motion with your right arm. Not only is this good feedback for the driver who just came past you, but everyone else including the driver behind gets a chance to learn what is too close to a cyclist. The car behind will almost always use the next lane to overtake you after one of these.

J4CKO

It is the best way to deal with it as agression just gets returned, being told politely you have done something wrong is quite humbling, sometimes though....

thomas

the tank engine
Whenever I've lost it I don't seem to get anywhere. I do find that sometimes I'll start yelling if I catch them up and then tone myself down as I realise it probably won't get anywhere.

Stephenite

Membå
Agree that you get a lot further by being polite and friendly.

Today though i gave a motorist the finger (and a paddington bear stare!). Wish i hadnt. He put his hand up to say sorry and I felt stupid.

We all make minor errors in our driving and cycling so we shouldnt act the aggressive prick when someone else does.

I was bad with a motorist a few days back and im still regretting it.It's not really the way to behave.What he did isn't probably the worst but I just shouted "Give me some effing room next time".

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I'm quite capable of being an arse, but sometimes you get an inkling whether being polite or arsey is going to be the more productive (politeness to the receptive yields a calmer reward, but to the arrogant and cocky, at least being arsey is a release valve) Sometimes you get it wrong though.

I wonder if I didn't appear hypocritical afterwards though by heading off down the hill (1/4 mile standing traffic) between the 2 lanes (dual carriageway), leaving myself little gap though...I thought that afterwards, if he didn't "get" the difference between 2 moving vehicles passing, and passing standing traffic.

On that note too, white van man was the only one who notably moved away from the centre to give me room when traffic was "creeping" forward between light changes. Some DO actually drive professionally and courteously :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't think you can win on dual carriageways. I get far more beeps and shouts on them than most other stretches of road.

Top Bottom