Night vision goggles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder whether these will become useful to cycling at night once the prices start coming down and the technology improves. Would probably be abit dangerous as they are if they switched off when you were going about 30mph.

What do you think of this cheap pair?
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/night-vision-goggles/index.html

Would be very cool to use them cycling but I wonder how safe that would be. The above may not look very practical, especailly as you can't wear a helmet but it has a certain cool factor.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
doesn't seam like a good idea to me, as soon as a car comes round the corner with it's headlights on full beam, your not going to be able to see for crap and your eyes will hurt just a little.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
From past experience of night vision gear, it doesn't work very well if there is a bright light source near by. So it would be fine if you were trying to cycle off road through a forest, but completely useless on a road with other traffic...

Just get a decent set of lights...

thomas

the tank engine
I'd have a go :thumbsup:

If anyone was going to cut you up, they'd probably think twice when they saw them, assuming your a trained solider :sad:

At £100, I think I'll stick with my new front light and my youthful vision :smile:

Jonathan M

Never used night vision, but if you read any books describing what they are liek to use (think modern warfare iraq/Afghanistan) the users nearly always describe a very narrow angle of vision and a lack of depth perception, allied to the fact that your eyes are seeing an image from about maybe 6 inches further forward than they are used to.

Besides, those in the link are relying upon IR LEDS to provide illumination, some true image intensifiers would be the dogs bollox if you really, really need night vision. But then they require some ambient light to work best, so think a wet night in the forests, and they'd probably be no better than the naked eye.

Noodley

I have used night vision goggles in a previous job and would not recommend them for cycling. Ever. Not a good idea at all.

Crankarm

Guru
Wouldn't they steam up.....;)?

All that panting, puffing and sweating.
You'd probably fall off the ladder anyway.....:sad:.

Top Bottom