No brake bridge hole to fit rear mudguard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I have just bought some mudguards described as "almost universal" to fit to my old falcon explorer. The instruction to fit the rear mudguards are "Attach the bridge to the rear brake bolt". The problem is that I have a V-brake so that doesn't work and the brake bridge (as I believe it is called) doesn't have a hole in it so now I don't know if I can fit that "universal" mudguard to my bike. Apologies if that sounds a bit vague but I don't know the exact terms. Looking at the picture on http://www.flickr.co...guk/4938269032/ can anybody think of a way I can get the mudguard bridge attached to my bike?

Thanks for your help!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Use a cable tie.

There is not much room under the bridge, I would feed the guard over it if it will pass under the cable (which needs replacing and an end cap on the new one to stop it fraying).

From that photo it looks like you've got one. The little horizontal bar which runs between the two near vertical seat stay is the bridge, there should be a small hole on the underside of that. With my sks mudguards on couple of different bikes I had to (the lbs did in fact) drill a small bolt through (the guards) to screw in this hole. I hope that helps and welcome to the forum :smile:

e-rider

crappy member
this bike already has a mudguard fitted, plus some random piece of metal (perhaps once held a reflector) and a pannier rack. Can we have more pics? Don't start drilling holes in your frame!

this bike already has a mudguard fitted, plus some random piece of metal (perhaps once held a reflector) and a pannier rack. Can we have more pics? Don't start drilling holes in your frame!

Sorry if my post came across like needing to drill a hole in the frame like tundragumski, certainly don't start doing that. If it wasn't clear the lbs need to drill a hole in the guards to bolt through to the little hole in the bridge but dont drill holes in anything until you have investigated further :blush:

OP
OP
S

snowfrog

Thank you very much for your answers! Yes, there is already a mudguard but it is rather ancient and moves while I'm cycling and often ends up rubbing the tyre.

From that photo it looks like you've got one. The little horizontal bar which runs between the two near vertical seat stay is the bridge, there should be a small hole on the underside of that. With my sks mudguards on couple of different bikes I had to (the lbs did in fact) drill a small bolt through (the guards) to screw in this hole.

Yes, I ended up thinking that this may be my only option, I just didn't know if it was a "reasonable"option and a common one. I spent hours trying to find an answer on the net but didn't find anything about drilling mudguards. I started thinking I was the only one to whom it happened!

Thanks for answering so fast and for all your suggestions!

Top Bottom