No love for Alberto?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
My allegiance is with Alejandro Valverde. :biggrin::blush:

(as is probably well-known on this Section)

yenrod

Chuffy said:
Hmmmm...
Mr Contador has achieved a historic treble but there's precious little mention of him on here. Which strikes me as a little odd. Could anyone offer me an explanation as to why young Bertie isn't being mobbed by the tifosi?

He has hit 'greatness' from the dire'rest of moments in cycling.

I'm just amazed/interested.

Keith Oates

Janner
For some reason, Chuffy, this year's Vuelta has not caught on either in the press or this forum. I'm not sure why, even the coverage on Cyclingnews was fairly subdued with very few pictures etc. each day. Perhaps there was not enough controversy to get the media excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mondobongo

Über Member
I am not a fan of Contador I find him quite insipid and can't get excited about watching him ride.

I have to confess to losing interest in the Vuelta at the end of the first week, found it boring the stage locations and the racing. I much prefered the Classic one day races, the Giro and the Tour. Looking forward to the Worlds and the Tour of Lombardy.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I found that this year I couldn't really get enthusiastic about the Vuelta this year. I find the majority of the race in general a bit boring. I know the topology of the country can't be changed but, until the race gets to the mountains watching a peloton cycling across long flat desert like plains doesn't get my juices flowing.

mondobongo

Über Member
Chuffy said:
Interesting. I was wondering if the apparent antipathy was due to the Disco/Astana connection. Not to mention Puerto. Which he had nothing to do with, no sirree.

Very eloquently put Mr Chuffy, the connections raise questions in my mind.

Will1985

Über Member
Puerto does it for me - goes for everyone on the list. Can't be trusted, especially the Spanish ones as they seem to be exempt from investigations.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I find it difficult to tell them apart when they are wearing helmets etc. I was endeared to one of them who was eating bananas instead of these ridiculous gel bars. I quite enjoy the Vuelta. One thing you notice it that there is virtually no motor homes lining the route as you get in the T de F, it is a more relaxed and friendly race and the scenary is always fantastic.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ludwig said:
I find it difficult to tell them apart when they are wearing helmets etc. I was endeared to one of them who was eating bananas instead of these ridiculous gel bars. I quite enjoy the Vuelta. One thing you notice it that there is virtually no motor homes lining the route as you get in the T de F, it is a more relaxed and friendly race and the scenary is always fantastic.

I hate to be controversial but the first and third weeks were like watching paint dry. Dreary scrubby landscapes along major roads and a lethargic peloton which occasionally roused itself enough to chase down a breakaway.
It definitely had an 'after the Lord mayor's Show' feel about it to me.

mondobongo

Über Member
Rich I don't think your being controversial more stating the facts, Ludders always likes to be different.

Not being biased about my own countrys Tour but the Tour of Britain had some bloody good racing and plenty of drama was more interesting than the Vuelta.

kennykool

Going back to the original post.....Chuffy wasn't asking wat you thought of the Vuelta...he was asking why there is No Love for Contador!!!

I think he is a breath of fresh air to the sport and I cant wait to see him back at the Tour next year with whichever team he is with!!!!!????

Watching Contador compete against Lance will be the highlight of my year.

I too am surprised there has not been more folks commenting on how well he's done to win all 3 grand tours...maybe he has to win all 3 in the one year to be noticed tho????????

Top Bottom