NOooooo!!!! not again!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smeg

summerdays said:
My disks are on a hybrid that hardly ever leaves the road. However I much prefer the stopping power of the disks (especially in the rain), not having to adjust them as they wear, no I don't clean my rims, and they don't wear down unlike on the previous bike, and I don't get as filthy. And if you do get your rims muddy/gritty you can still use your brakes.

You don't clean your bike / wheels at all? Not even when you've been out in the rain and your bike is covered in crud?

I have found my mechanical disc brake to be worse in the wet and you have to clean the rotor after being out in the rain or it squeeks like hell. I haven't noticed the braking on my new hybrid with v brakes being less effective in the rain - saying that I have only been cycling in heavy-ish rain once so far on it. Winter will put it's braking to the test. I'd like to think my brakes will work fine however whether the rims are wet, gritty, muddy or whatever if they're set up properly, in my opinion it makes little difference.

RedBike

Bigtwin said:
Me neither. And round here it's very sandy/gritty which makes things hard on pads.

You're telling me you never have to replace your pads on a ride either?
I'm finding this very hard to belive.

I haven't noticed the braking on my new hybrid with v brakes being less effective in the rain
All v-brakes most definately are effected by wet muddy rims. The wheel normally hast to do at least one full revolution to 'clean' the rim before the brakes will bite properly.

Hydrallic systems are also effected by water/mud; but normally the brakes are so powerful and the effects of the mud/water are only minor so the rider doesn't notice any drop in power.

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

I've found that disc brakes are only compromised by water if they are left in the rain.... yes this occasionally happens at work - I have no choice but to leave my bike out in the rain.. if i ride through a puddle then it makes no difference - the discs are hot enough that they will just evaporate water off them immediately anyway...

Top Bottom