Norway adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rupie

Über Member
I I have a non cycling friend who lives in Bergen, South West Norway that I have to visit for work reasons, mid May next year. So I have decided to take advantage of that and create a tour from there to Trondheim, further north.
I have acquired a second hand Barracuda Titanium Bike, with Ryanbuild Touring Wheels. and some panniers. I will be wild camping a great deal, as I have the gear and am used to walking trekking camping. The route I have planned is 600 miles. There is a lot of climbing and ferries and tunnels I cant go through to negotiate. I also plan to stop along the way to relax, and maybe attack some climbs without my gear and eat lots of Cake. It's solo and not a race to the end, but i cant take forever.. My experience includes having cols in the Alps and Sportives such as The Dragon Ride, in Wales.

I have three questions:

Is 50 or 60 miles a day about right, with panniers ?
As I cant take fuel on the plane, what cooking tools should I take to be able to buy locally ?
If I'm flying home from a different location to my arrival, what could I do about a bike bag/box.

Thanks

I rode from Oslo to Bergen.
50 miles is a good estimation if there are trail sections. Depends on how touring fit you are.
I was doing proper cooking, not dehydrated camping meals, and used Trangia. Alcohol fuel is available at garage shops.
I flew home from Haugesund. I asked a bike shop in town for a box, no problem. You also need to buy duck tape. Keep tape and knife to hand until they accept the packed bike. You can make anti crush reinforcement with rolled up card.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Depends on your fitness, how much everything will weigh, the terrain and weather you are used to, how your previous tours have gone and what kind of speeds you averaged.

For bike boxes, source cardboard , tape, plumbing pipe lagging, and zip ties at destination.

OP
OP
Rupie

Rupie

Über Member
I have been working more since June but before then I was averaging 4000 miles year , without touring and climbing lots of areas across the UK. The only difference this time is that I have not carried so much before, and for so long on my own.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Sounds amazing. Distance sounds perfect.

Ref the bike boxes, contact Trondheim airport - some sell carboard boxes. Otherwise, contact local bike shops and see if they could save you a bike box.

Good luck - jealous!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've never been cycling there but Norway is beautiful.

Make sure you have some good low gears. I saw plenty of extremely heavily loaded cyclists trundling slowly up the ludicrously steep hills when I was last there.

Top Bottom