Not an Ellis Briggs - but what is it+?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We do know for certain it was before 1965. That's when they moved out of Station Road.

So there's some age to it.

Ephgrave? anyone

who knows ; many moons ago i sold what i was told was a Claud Butler which had the similar mix of lug joints and the gent that bought it kept telling me it was a Carbolite 103 Peugoet as i sold it as a mystery frame .

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobbyling

bobbyling

Sorry for the delay in replying - been away.

The sticker says:
Paintwork by Ellis Briggs Enamelling
Unit 2 Station Rd
Shipley
Tel 0274 583221

I think the is confusion around the address.
Unit 2 Station Rd is, I've found out, an enamelling/painting place separate from the Ellis Briggs shop that they rented between 1989-91. So it was resprayed at that time. The shop say they do have records for that period but he didn't seem keen on wading through 3yrs worth of paint jobs, particularly as the entry is likely to have just said - "Frame and forks resprayed"
I'm kind of thinking that I'm not going to pin it down enough to justify a professional respray and I'll just have a play with it myself, as is.

Many thanks for your thoughts though :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
as @classic33 not many people would send a pile of rubbish to be repainted by them so it cant be that bad , shame you dont know for sure when it was done as you could go and ask them to look back through the records of work done etc etc

I had a very nicely re enamelled bike with Rory O'Brien logos on it but it was a Dawes. Very light so I assumed it was 531. Nice bike, but not a R O'B.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sorry for the delay in replying - been away.

The shop say they do have records for that period but he didn't seem keen on wading through 3yrs worth of paint jobs, particularly as the entry is likely to have just said - "Frame and forks resprayed"
I'm kind of thinking that I'm not going to pin it down enough to justify a professional respray and I'll just have a play with it myself, as is.

Many thanks for your thoughts though :smile:

cant blame them really shame you cant tie the date down to six month or less period

classic33

Leg End Member
You can take the first half of 89 out. Fully equipped paint shop on Otley Road in use by them.

One of the first shops I came across that checked with police to see if the bike/frame had been reported stolen. That was over thirty years ago.

I read that last line wrong by the way. And I don't mean the one where you're thanking us for our thoughts either.

OP
OP
bobbyling

bobbyling

who knows ; many moons ago i sold what i was told was a Claud Butler which had the similar mix of lug joints and the gent that bought it kept telling me it was a Carbolite 103 Peugoet as i sold it as a mystery frame .

It would be a strange coincidence if it turned out to be a CB (I don't think it is) as its one of their bikes (under Holdsworth) that I would really like to get hold of. Had a 10 gear one given to me as a Xmas prezzie in 72 - perhaps a Tipo - nostalgia says get another

Top Bottom