not quite a tour but

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
wondered if anyone could help . got a chance of a lift to anglesey and biking home ( roughly 220miles ) could anyone tell me if the A5 is busy at the anglesey end , i,ve plotted a meandering route not using it much but if it aint busy it might be safer than using tiny roads that may be used as rat runs - any help appreciated got a route planned to northampton (nearly home ) on tiny roads missing everything but boy does it meander

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Sustrans Routes 8 and 5 look like decent alternatives to the A5 on the island. 8 looks more direct and I used to know that road quite well- it was a pretty quiet B road (in 1995 anyway!) I think they may have extended the dualled A55 now across Anglesey that would probably be a bit like a motorway. The A5 might be OK now though as I guess all the ferry traffic now would use the A55 instead. Locals will know more of course. After Menai Bridge you can go along the N Wales coast on a lot of lanes or traffic free routes pretty much all the way to Chester, though there may be a few gaps. See http://www.sustrans.org.uk/map#264453,371543,1
Pob lwc!

dickyknees

Guru
It depends on how much time you want to spend crossing the Island.

The scenic Sustrans 8 is indeed quite at this time of the year but the A55 has relieved the A5 of a great amount of traffic and is a direct route accross the Island.

Depending on your starting point, the B5109 into Llangefni and B5420 Llangefni to Menai Bridge might be worth consideration.

Please do not consider using the A55 - it is a two lane motorway.

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
It depends on how much time you want to spend crossing the Island.

The scenic Sustrans 8 is indeed quite at this time of the year but the A55 has relieved the A5 of a great amount of traffic and is a direct route accross the Island.

Depending on your starting point, the B5109 into Llangefni and B5420 Llangefni to Menai Bridge might be worth consideration.

Please do not consider using the A55 - it is a two lane motorway.
no thanks - i did google street view and the a55 was ruled out straight away - thought it might have made the a5 less busy but wasnt sure - on the picture in google there isnt many cars but you dont know when they took it do you ! thanks for taking time to answer i am now just joining the sustrans website and waitiing for it to load the maps i want so thanks again

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've ridden bits of the A5 with Plax of this parish, and I don't remember it being too busy. That was on a Sunday morning, from Llanfair PG to Pentre Berw IIRC.

Nick M

Nick M

Sorry just realised where Northampton is !! Do the reverse of my route to Chester
NCN 8 to Bangor, NCN 5 along the coast to Prestatyn (excellent path along the A55 & on back lanes) Bagillt, Chester, then NCN 45 & aim for home !!

Top Bottom