Not steel Fausto Coppi frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Live

Hi,

I think I've been fleeced: I was a little surprised when I put a magnet near the "steel" Fausto Coppi bike that I recently bought and found absolutely no magnetic attraction.

It's aluminium, isn't it?

In addition, I then had to admit that the welding was about three times as thick as the welding on my cheap steel Giant Peloton 7000. Also not a good sign.

Do you think just from the lack of magnetism alone that it's aluminium?

Thanks.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Could be titanium?.... but its more likely aluminium if its not magnetic and has got chunky welds

OP
OP
L

Live

Ha! If it was considerably lighter (and Fausto Coppi ever made from the material) I might have considered it to titanium! At least if the seller had said it was titanium it would have been harder to disprove, but it looks like it's aluminium...

Thanks...

Bigtwin

It's Al.

I had one with carbon forks - it was fine, but they are a fairly cheap frame.

Coppi sold the name, and the new co didn't make any steel frames. They made ones under names such as Torino, Travisio, San Remo (mine), and a couple of others.

They didn't make any Ti frames or other exotica, they came from a factory in Tie-one-on. You can tell them from the "real" Copi frames, as they didn't get the logo with the name. The new ones just have Copi written on the head tube, whereas the old ones have a wreath/garland thing.

Could be austenitic stainless steel, that's not magnetic, and the welds would also be chunky. Tube size is a good indicator, aluminium is genarally larger diameter than steel for reasons of strength. Not sure if they ever made a frame out of it though.

calvjones

Looks very much like a 1990s standard Ally frame from the size & shape of the tubes

Sorry.

But if it's nice to ride, who cares?

Top Bottom