not sure what bike to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cant decide which bike will be better for myself, im looking at hybrid or mountain bike.
I will be using roads and cycle paths but also im doing the trans pennine trial can any one offer advice plz whch is better.
thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
If going on roads, I'd go for a hybrid, although the term really does cover a multitude of bike specs! Personally, I don't like suspension but if you are going off road properly (I don't Know how rough the TP trail is) then you may appreciate it. Hwoever, make sure the suspension has a lock out, although this will be dictated by your budget which you don't mention

Something like a specialized Ariel or giant rove may fit the bill :smile:

Newman8

True - a 'hybrid' can mean almost anything. You should consider a cyclocross - a hybrid that leans more towards a road racer, but has a comfier (sitting slightly more upright) geometry, bigger clearances with chunky off-road tyres (& for mudguards & rack if needed) & often disc brakes too.

Have a look at Genesis CdF - that's pretty good value & looks lush in cyan.

Unless you really need suspension, then don't bother - it will only hinder you on the road.

Carl G

Sounds as though your cycling isn't going to take you anywhere that would make suspension are "must have".
I'd agree with Newman8, a cyclo-cross bike would be a good choice.
Although they will incur a slight weight penalty, I would also look for a bike with disk-brakes, better breaking in wet/muddy conditions.

Newman8

Don't think you can go far wrong with that - all pretty reliable components - wide range of gears...
Can't ask for more for that kind of money.
Enjoy!

Top Bottom