Not sure where this should be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Let me be clear from the start, I ride alone and at my own pace. So today on my usual 25km run happily spinning along on my Coppi when out of the blue a peloton of very modern bikes silently came up behind me and effortlessly slid by. A couple of blokes drew along side and showed interest in my old steel bike and then drifted on. I thought bugger you lot so l hung on as tail end charlie for the next few Km. In conversation with one of the guys l knew we would part company in a km or two so l pushed hard and passed the peloton. Im sure that was a rude thing to do because as l was going "flat out " for me, a bike and rider flew passed me in no uncertain manner, certainly put me in my place . So if anyone from Puy l'Eveque cycle club sees this l apologise for my rude behaviour.^_^ The point of all this waffle is that steel can keep up with carbon etc, l'm so happy to report .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Let me be clear from the start, I ride alone and at my own pace. So today on my usual 25km run happily spinning along on my Coppi when out of the blue a peloton of very modern bikes silently came up behind me and effortlessly slid by. A couple of blokes drew along side and showed interest in my old steel bike and then drifted on. I thought bugger you lot so l hung on as tail end charlie for the next few Km. In conversation with one of the guys l knew we would part company in a km or two so l pushed hard and passed the peloton. Im sure that was a rude thing to do because as l was going "flat out " for me, a bike and rider flew passed me in no uncertain manner, certainly put me in my place . So if anyone from Puy l'Eveque cycle club sees this l apologise for my rude behaviour.^_^ The point of all this waffle is that steel can keep up with carbon etc, l'm so happy to report .
I forgot what l meant to say "in all the waffle" which was that never having been part of a peloton until now l was completely unaware of its power to almost drag you with it . The result of which is that l shaved 7 minutes off my best time for the 25km which now stands at 55minutes. Come back peloton!!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I thought bugger you lot so l hung on as tail end charlie for the next few Km. In conversation with one of the guys l knew we would part company in a km or two so l pushed hard and passed the peloton. The point of all this waffle is that steel can keep up with carbon etc, l'm so happy to report .

Once passed you are meant to take the next turning left or right or pull into a driveway making out it's where you live :laugh:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I forgot what l meant to say "in all the waffle" which was that never having been part of a peloton until now l was completely unaware of its power to almost drag you with it . The result of which is that l shaved 7 minutes off my best time for the 25km which now stands at 55minutes. Come back peloton!!
It makes a huge difference. My club runs training sessions at a local motor racing circuit and it is easy to ride 'through and off' with the group at 20 mph. Easy until it's my turn at the front anyway ........

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It makes a huge difference. My club runs training sessions at a local motor racing circuit and it is easy to ride 'through and off' with the group at 20 mph. Easy until it's my turn at the front anyway ........
I think l will try to find the club that these guys came from, it looks like fun to ride with a group. That is if they will have a stray Brit. who had the cheek to ride through a bunch of serious French . This ride was on public roads so very variable in elevations. The last 4km is all up and the last half a km is very up...bit of a killer that.:whistle:

Top Bottom