Novice Home Mechanic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChristophJones13

Hi!
I am wanting to wean my dependency on “the shop” for repairs I am sure that I can do on my own. For my current repair, I am wanting to tighten my chain.
I ride a Cannondale Bad Boy (year?) and know that I need to use a pin spanner to tighten the chain. However, I do not know how to loosen the bottom bracket. I am not sure what to loosen and do not want to create more work than needed by fumbling unnecessarily.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
🙏

boydj

Legendary Member
What problem are you trying to solve? Does your bike Have derailleur gears? If it does, then the only way to tighten the chain is to remove a link.

Why would you want to 'loosen the bottom bracket'?

If you have a hub gear bike, then you tighten the chain by backing off the rear wheel nuts, pulling the wheel back slightly, keeping it centred, and tightening the nuts again.

Check the Park Tools website for some videos showing basic mechanics.

iluvmybike

Über Member
There is usually a couple of bolts under the bb which you need to slacken off to then adjust the bb poistion for the required chain length/tension. Be sure to check the required torque when doing them back up as you don't wnat to destroy the bb shell

iluvmybike

Über Member
What problem are you trying to solve? Does your bike Have derailleur gears? If it does, then the only way to tighten the chain is to remove a link.

Why would you want to 'loosen the bottom bracket'?

If you have a hub gear bike, then you tighten the chain by backing off the rear wheel nuts, pulling the wheel back slightly, keeping it centred, and tightening the nuts again.

Check the Park Tools website for some videos showing basic mechanics.

He has an eccentric bottom bracket that's why. This allows rotation of the bb shell to take up chain slack.

OP
OP
ChristophJones13

ChristophJones13

There is usually a couple of bolts under the bb which you need to slacken off to then adjust the bb poistion for the required chain length/tension. Be sure to check the required torque when doing them back up as you don't wnat to destroy the bb shell
Thanks!
when you say check the required torque, is it a manufacturer’s recommendation or is there a way to measure that?

iluvmybike

Über Member
There should be a manufacturer's recommended tolerance and you need to use a torque wrench to ensure you don't exceed it (easy to do on those particular bolts!)

Top Bottom