Numb Thumb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Odd one this I think...

Cycled 10 miles today - about 7 miles in i noticed my right thumb had gone a little numb (left hand/thumb was fine), by the time I got home it was much worse...all pins and needles.

I don't think it's happens before, and I suspect it has something todo with my shifter/bars position...

Are there any tips/tricks to make sure that things are working/positioned well, or should I just adjust/tweak untill it stops?

Btw, it's a road bike :smile:

Cheers!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A thumb is unusual - usually it's the ring & little fingers. It's also more of a problem, and needs fixing.
The cause is pressure on a nerve somewhere, either against the handlebar or lever hood, or in the wrist due to the position. All you can really do is to change hand position more frequently, and adjust until it stops.Try and work out what's causing it. Is it worst when on the lever hoods? Are you lifting the thumb right back to change gear on an ergo button?

If you are going to move the levers much, it may be worth while switching to a type of bar tape that doesn't have an adhesive backing so that you can re-wrap the bars without having to get more tape. I use Profile tape, which has a silicone strip on the back like shorts gripper.

Top Bottom