Numb/Tingling feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Evening chaps
I've developed a slight numbness in me feet of late , now one of 2 things have changed of late , I has a bike fit recently and the cleats were adjusted, but nothing seemed to be noticeable, for the subsequent rides, bit another thing change I went from my winter socks , slightly thicker merino jobs and last few rides I'm back on thinner summer weights, and that seems to be the time i noticed the numbness any suggestions

vickster

Legendary Member
Go back to the bike fitter and get him/her to take another look

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I developed that kind of problem when I bought a pair of shoes that were too tight across my wide feet. Maybe your thicker socks caused your feet to be too tight in your shoes but it took some time to cause problems and you have only just noticed?

My problem wasn't at all subtle. After one ride I was in such pain that I could not ride for weeks and it took a few months to clear up completely.

Hopefully, your problem was just caused by the thick socks (if it was, you need bigger shoes next winter, or don't wear thick socks!) OR the bike fitter can help.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Evening chaps
I've developed a slight numbness in me feet of late , now one of 2 things have changed of late , I has a bike fit recently and the cleats were adjusted, but nothing seemed to be noticeable, for the subsequent rides, bit another thing change I went from my winter socks , slightly thicker merino jobs and last few rides I'm back on thinner summer weights, and that seems to be the time i noticed the numbness any suggestions

If anything I would expect moving from summer socks to winter would be a possibility rather than the other way round.

I would move the cleats back to their original position. When I first went clipless it took sometime to find the correct cleat position and I'm always very careful to keep that position when fitting new cleats or buying new shoes.

Unless your position was really bad I can't understand why your bike fitter would change the cleat position. I wouldn't have allowed that as I know just a few mms change makes a big difference to me.

Are you over tightening your shoes?

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I find my feet were getting numb in the summer in my old shoes which were ever so slightly too small. They didn't feel too small but they were the wrong size and shape. During the winter I didn't have this issue presumably because in summer your feet get warmer and swell up. Not saying its anything close to summer weather yet but it's getting there! Have you had your feet measured by the fitter? Did they recommend a different shape or brand of shoe? I'd go back to them first before you faff with the cleat setup and see what they say.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

If anything I would expect moving from summer socks to winter would be a possibility rather than the other way round.

I would move the cleats back to their original position. When I first went clipless it took sometime to find the correct cleat position and I'm always very careful to keep that position when fitting new cleats or buying new shoes.

Unless your position was really bad I can't understand why your bike fitter would change the cleat position. I wouldn't have allowed that as I know just a few mms change makes a big difference to me.

Are you over tightening your shoes?

Well funnily enough the shoes are quite new and they are rapha laced which are quite different from my others maybe I am overtightning

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well funnily enough the shoes are quite new and they are rapha laced which are quite different from my others maybe I am overtightning

I use velcro fastened shoes but in the days when I used laced shoes overtightening laces would numb my feet. For me the solution, which I still practice with my walking boots, is to lace loosely across the foot and then only tight enough at the top to hold the shoe in place.

This is for a standard laced shoe in the same way as a street shoe. I don't know what "rapha laced" is. Could be worth playing around with though.

vickster

Legendary Member
I use velcro fastened shoes but in the days when I used laced shoes overtightening laces would numb my feet. For me the solution, which I still practice with my walking boots, is to lace loosely across the foot and then only tight enough at the top to hold the shoe in place.

This is for a standard laced shoe in the same way as a street shoe. I don't know what "rapha laced" is. Could be worth playing around with though.

Something like this presumably
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/classic-shoes/product/CLS01XXWHT425

fraz101

I suffer from the same, not sure if it’s the narrowness of shoes at toes that’s doing it or maybe I’m tightening too much, I’ve recently bought overshoes which have helped on colder mornings.

But I was out yesterday and it was not at all cold and my toes were still numb when I got home after 2.5hrs in saddle

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another thing just occurred to me... cold winter rides too short to cause problems with overtight shoes, longer warmer rides now revealing the problem? :whistle:

As mentioned above - feet can swell in warm conditions. I have to loosen my shoe straps after a couple of hours on summer rides. I don't remember doing that in the winter.

Wooger

Evening chaps

100% bike fit. I solved the issue for myself by moving my cleats all the way back and my saddle down and back a little.

Loose shoes and or toeing down is the cause.

Top Bottom