Nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Jelly Babies

colinr

As you just got your bike, I wouldn't worry about nutrition just yet. Eat what you like!
Jelly Babies are good though.

kevcampbell

next week is when i get my bike, but the other day i started eating more healthy but still need to look around for more stuff but so far i have been eating apples and sunflower seeds, and also orange juice, i do eat more in a day but that is the healthy things i eat

sunflower seeds, apples and orange juice, all good for potassium and i think that is one of the best things for energy, i still need to read up some more on things though

sarahpink

http://www.northlana...?articleid=6925

They've changed their web page.

Anyway. This is the most sensible advice on nutrition for beginners I've seen.

Except I would include in the Post ride meal 1g Protein per kg bodyweight. Especially after the 'Training' ride.

this looks a lot like the info from this link

http://www.cptips.com/sixrides.htm

Are you in Oregon - if so, my recommendation of mule bars would cost a fortune in postage? On longish rides I carry a gel or two in case of fatigue/nutrition miscalculation.

If you want a non-healthy alternative drink: 1 can of coke, add a pinch of salt and fill up rest of bottle with water

tmcd35

Are you in Oregon - if so, my recommendation of mule bars would cost a fortune in postage? On longish rides I carry a gel or two in case of fatigue/nutrition miscalculation.

Can I plead ignorance and ask - what are these gels? I did a (very) quick interweb search and found some listed on wiggle but I don't think the site explained much.

Do you mix them with the water, or take them straight? How much of an energy boost do they give? Are they worth the price? What are they food/drink? I take it you use a gel instead of an energy bar or lucazade or something?

If you want a non-healthy alternative drink: 1 can of coke, add a pinch of salt and fill up rest of bottle with water

Now that sounds interesting, I might give it a try.

JNR

Can I plead ignorance and ask - what are these gels? I did a (very) quick interweb search and found some listed on wiggle but I don't think the site explained much.

Do you mix them with the water, or take them straight? How much of an energy boost do they give? Are they worth the price? What are they food/drink? I take it you use a gel instead of an energy bar or lucazade or something?

Now that sounds interesting, I might give it a try.

The gels are taken straight, you rip the top off and squeeze it into your mouth, then wash it down with a few mouthfulls of water. They are designed to deliver carbohydrates to your body easily and without faffing about eating stuff, which is ok on a bike but horrible when running. I think the carbs are there to increase stores of glycogen, which is turned into glucose which the body uses during exercise to fuel muscles. If you run out of glycogen you are in trouble, you 'hit the wall' or 'bonk'.

Gels are one way to avoid that but you don't have to shell out for them, there are other things. Sugary confectionary works, amongst other things, but if you are going to be on a bike for more than two hours or so you should be eating something and drinking plenty of water!

I've only ever had one gel, a lucozade one after they had just been brought out. I was on a training run without water and it was awful. You've got to have water with you to get the gel residue out your mouth!

EDIT: According to wikipedia training can improve the body's ability to store glycogen so that will help things. It's also worth pointing out that many people totally reject any form of product with a premium attached to it, like these gels, but bear in mind pro cyclists use them for events like the Tour de France, so they can't be that rubbish!

tmcd35

Thanks for that, I think I understand now. Might be worth investing in a pack the next time I do a long challenge ride and see if one of these helps when I start to seriously stuggle.

jimboalee

Thanks for that, I think I understand now. Might be worth investing in a pack the next time I do a long challenge ride and see if one of these helps when I start to seriously stuggle.

This is a BIG mistake.

Make a plan. Do the maths and supply your body BEFORE you start to struggle. Then you won't struggle.

Top Bottom