O’brien cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

draftsman

To introduce myself let’s say I’m the wrong side of retirement age and an ex athlete who has used cycling as part of my training. Athletics is behind me now and I’m keen to do some long distance cycling if I can just get over the saddle-soreness that goes with it! I bought a Specialized Allen comp a few years ago and am just clearing my garage of stuff I no longer need. I have an old O’Brien Challenge that was given to me about 15 years ago and wanted an idea of it’s worth before taking it to the tip. Typed it into google search hoping for similar on EBay and a thread came up regarding a similar model on your community forum. So, 2 questions, is it worth keeping it and selling it and, probably more important, how do I overcome the excruciating saddle pains?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
To introduce myself let’s say I’m the wrong side of retirement age and an ex athlete who has used cycling as part of my training. Athletics is behind me now and I’m keen to do some long distance cycling if I can just get over the saddle-soreness that goes with it! I bought a Specialized Allen comp a few years ago and am just clearing my garage of stuff I no longer need. I have an old O’Brien Challenge that was given to me about 15 years ago and wanted an idea of it’s worth before taking it to the tip. Typed it into google search hoping for similar on EBay and a thread came up regarding a similar model on your community forum. So, 2 questions, is it worth keeping it and selling it and, probably more important, how do I overcome the excruciating saddle pains?
Depends what sort of condition it's in, pictures might help.

As for soreness, you need a Brooks. :becool:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you've read the other thread you've probably got an idea on value. Is it worth keeping? I guess that's down to you.
Does the saddle pain relate to the O'Brien or the Specialized?

OP
OP
D

draftsman

Hi there. I guess you mean a Brooks saddle? Not sure what was meant by ‘does he know the rules though’.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi there. I guess you mean a Brooks saddle? Not sure what was meant by ‘does he know the rules though’.
Click the google link or search for 'Velominati' in your preferred search engine.

EDIT - See also #12 regarding the O'Brian

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Obscure "in" joke, don't let it worry you.
A Brooks might or might not suit you. If somehow you can measure the distance between your sit bones you might be able to find one the correct width which should help. Specialized used to have a machine for measuring your backside. Losing a bit of weight might also help.

OP
OP
D

draftsman

Obscure "in" joke, don't let it worry you.
A Brooks might or might not suit you. If somehow you can measure the distance between your sit bones you might be able to find one the correct width which should help. Specialized used to have a machine for measuring your backside. Losing a bit of weight might also help.
Thanks for your help. Will get along to Specialized shop. Hopefully cycling will help with weight loss. #45 subsection 6

Top Bottom