Oban and surrounding area.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gelfy666

Über Member
Right ive just booked a camping pod for myself in the Oban area, so wheres some good places to have a pedal as im on my own for the whole week :smile: and will be taking the MTB.

OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
or would taking fuji sportif be a better option up there?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I would go with the MTB, as there are some off road tracks around Oban (cannot be more specific as it's not my "thing").
You could also use the newish NCN paths which form part of the Caledonian Way route from Cmpbeltown to Inverness, via Oban.
Isle of Mull is only an hour away by ferry as well.

Go south from Oban and visit the Kilmartin museum (great cakes, screw the exhibits, subjects are all dead in anyway). En-route, turn in to Ardfern and admire the Craignish peninsula. Have a beer at the Galley of Lorn hotel. Sit outside, admire the loch and swat the midges. Then, hop on your bike and go further south, up the hill and take a photo looking back at where you've just been. That should be enough of a trip for one looooong day.

Cake shop stops on the way. 1st stop, Kilmelford café and shop. Closed on Mondays but open for the rest.
2nd stop. Crafty Kitchen in Ardfern. Scones, butties etc. Supposedly vegetarian but you can order a bacon roll. Opposite that is the Galley or Lorn. Fancy meals, pub food or just beer outside on the benches.
3rd stop, Kilmartin museum and café. Scones, cakes, beer, cider and good coffee.

How fit are you? There are some serious hills between these two points.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Take mosquito coils or a can of insecticide for the pod.

Go and ask for route advice on the Singletrack forum, they are much more into this kind of thing on there.

Top Bottom