Obd2 reader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I realise these go to thousands of £££ , however any recommendations for the home mechanic ? Engine management light onnsons car , likely hood it’s a an oxygen sensor , google suggest it’s common . However be good to get the code read.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I realise these go to thousands of £££ , however any recommendations for the home mechanic ? Engine management light onnsons car , likely hood it’s a an oxygen sensor , google suggest it’s common . However be good to get the code read.
I've got an Autel Maxi AP200 and it does everything you might need for about £50. It doesn't do anything fancy like re-programme things but it will read and clear fault codes. It works fine on our Discovery 3 and VW Lupo.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Similar here, paid about £20 for a bluetooth one that came with the 'pro' version of Torque (it's an app). Clears codes and lets you know what's wrong.

I don't think any can clear airbag warnings - my car is a bit 'precious' about people banging the drivers seat from behind. But Nissan build in a routine of 'ignition key switches' that let's the system re-scan - e.g. if you disconnect an air bag, the light will stay on until such a point it's re-scanned for faults.

Son has a better VAG compatible one that you can do quite a bit with, like re-programme the satnav screen, and adjust the lighting etc. etc.

Jody

Stubborn git
Depends what vehicle you have and it's age.

I also use a BT OBD reader from ebay and Torque pro which will do most of what you want, but have basic VAGCOM for other stuff.

Drago

Legendary Member
I use an iCarsoft V2. About 130 sheets, but already paid for itself many times over. As well as engine codes it reads transmission, aircon, ABS, SRS, all the codes there are that can be read. It can also force a regen, calibrate new components, and make me a cup of tea.

Short of paying out for VIDA it's about the most comprehensive you can get. If they make one for your brand of car then I can recommend it highly.

If you just want very basic generic engine codes then an OBD dongle to pair with an app such as Torque Pro is as good as anything else. Problem is, your issue might not be flagged by a generic engine code and you might need the specific one your your manufacturer particularly it is an emcon fault.

JB052

Had a problem with O2 sensor on our 2009 Beetle last week, garage said lots of similar problems recently and suggested a possible link with the new E10 fuel.

keithmac

Guru
Had a problem with O2 sensor on our 2009 Beetle last week, garage said lots of similar problems recently and suggested a possible link with the new E10 fuel.

Could quite easily be "fuel trim out of range" or similar as the the car will have to inject more fuel to reach the desired AFR.

Nibor

Bewildered
I have the same issue again suggested related to E10 I have switched to E5 but need to reset the warning light again to see if it stays clear

CXRAndy

Guru
I have the same issue again suggested related to E10 I have switched to E5 but need to reset the warning light again to see if it stays clear
It might reset once you have run the car a few hours. If its a fuel trim issue, the car will relearn with E5 fuel. A fault will most likely keep the check engine light lit

Top Bottom