Obstinate Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Cassette on wheel refuses to budge.
Long handled wrench with cassette tool and chain whip.
I want to give the wheel a good service and canabalize the cassette for some sprockets,
Any tips to get it off wheel?

Young Un

Get a piece of pipe on the end of the tools?

Clamp the wheel in a vice so you can put more force through the tools?

bonj2

use a proper cassette tool which has an integrated handle and a pin that goes through the axle, and a proper, good, chain whip, not an oil filter wrench, or a crap chain whip.
e.g. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16389

but the best tip is to kneel behind the wheel, and put the tools on the other side of it to you, in the 20-past-4 position. then lean over the wheel with your hands on the tool handles and put your weight on them. If you are using good, proper, tools then the force of all your upper body weight will translate into torque removing the casssette.

The little bit of chain on the filter whip that is attached both ends goes on the underside of the cassette, and the long bit with one end attached wraps round the top. get this in place first, at the right angle, then put the cassette tool on at the right orientation relative to thechain whip.

credit to tim benet for that tip. i do it like that and it always works no matter how tight. in fact i think his avatar is of him nearly in the position in which to do it
image.php

bonj2

I am Spartacus said:
Yup.. I have hunting hi and low for something to get more purchase.. and sadly viceless.:biggrin:

if you are trying to use one of these with an adjustable spanner you might as well try to chew your own leg off as it will probably be just as productive.
7213.jpg

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
bonj said:
The little bit of chain on the filter whip that is attached both ends goes on the underside of the cassette, and the long bit with one end attached wraps round the top. get this in place first, at the right angle, then put the cassette tool on at the right orientation relative to thechain whip.

credit to tim benet for that tip. i do it like that and it always works no matter how tight. in fact i think his avatar is of him nearly in the position in which to do it
image.php

Got it off.. chain whip positioned correctly does help!

ty
:biggrin:

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
This was factory welded.. I dont tighten unnecessarily.. as with pedals.. rotation forwards and they can never undo themselves... I do believe?

Crankarm

Guru
Clean lock ring threads and apply a tad of LM grease/copper slip before refitting.

For removal as per above post but also wedge wheel against wall or kitchen cupboard. Put body weight on other side of wheel using knee to stop it moving. Make sure other half is not around to spectate if removal is in kitchen.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Also remember to wipe the muddy/oily tread marks off the kitchen cupboard doors *before* the other half returns.......

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'll second bonj on the proper cassette lockring tool. a really stubborn cassette might require more force than some chain whips can provide. i have 2; one which is ok for freewheel cassettes but won't shift a fixed sprocket, and one which will do both.

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I shall bear in mind when Xmas list comes around.......
swapped things round a bit and
I now have a sweet 12 13 14 15 16 18 21 24 28 cassette

Top Bottom