Obtaining Bike Parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharleyFarley

I don't like twist shifters so I ordered 3 * 7 trigger shifters online. I can't get them from a bike shop. I ordered them September 27th, and they should be here between October 11th - 24th, three to four weeks.

I recently bought a new bike which has a side stand mounted immediately behind the BB. It's a nuisance because I have three bikes in my shed and it's hard to get the new bike out because by pulling it backward the crank turns and stops against the side stand. I can't raise the side stand because the crank stops it. So I have to lift the bike up by the saddle, stand on one leg, turn the crank forward and then raise the side stand. So I decided to get a two-point side stand that mounts near the rear axle. Can't get one at a bike shop so I ordered one October 6th. It should be here between October 11th - 16th.

It seems that everything has to come from Asia, now. I'm not blaming the bike shops, it's just the way things are. I've changed shifters on other bikes and had them in a few days. It's just something I have to get used to. I was wondering if it's like this in the U.K.

Incidentally, the new bike I bought is a step-through and I quickly learned a lesson. I stop to take photos. Normally I'd be astride the bike with the cross bar between my legs to support it. Not thinking about this bike not having a cross bar, I stopped to take a photo and the bike crashed down on the mirror.

I don't like twist shifters so I ordered 3 * 7 trigger shifters online. I can't get them from a bike shop. I ordered them September 27th, and they should be here between October 11th - 24th, three to four weeks.

I recently bought a new bike which has a side stand mounted immediately behind the BB. It's a nuisance because I have three bikes in my shed and it's hard to get the new bike out because by pulling it backward the crank turns and stops against the side stand. I can't raise the side stand because the crank stops it. So I have to lift the bike up by the saddle, stand on one leg, turn the crank forward and then raise the side stand. So I decided to get a two-point side stand that mounts near the rear axle. Can't get one at a bike shop so I ordered one October 6th. It should be here between October 11th - 16th.

It seems that everything has to come from Asia, now. I'm not blaming the bike shops, it's just the way things are. I've changed shifters on other bikes and had them in a few days. It's just something I have to get used to. I was wondering if it's like this in the U.K.

Incidentally, the new bike I bought is a step-through and I quickly learned a lesson. I stop to take photos. Normally I'd be astride the bike with the cross bar between my legs to support it. Not thinking about this bike not having a cross bar, I stopped to take a photo and the bike crashed down on the mirror.

There is a stand that mounts on the bar between the crank and the rear wheel which will solve your problem. I got mine from Temu.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yes and no. Bike shops do keep a reasonable range of things, and Wiggle delivers quite quickly. Some things off EBay can take a week or three if they're coming straight from China.
Personally, I avoid Temu / Wish and , to a degree, Ebay. Back in 2021 I ordered a few rear mechs and such like that were fake rubbish and just wouldn't work properly

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

There is a stand that mounts on the bar between the crank and the rear wheel which will solve your problem. I got mine from Temu.

I've seen the single point side stand but I don't like the idea of only mounting to the chain stay.
I looked at Temu and couldn't find what I need. For the time being I robbed the 2-point side stand from my fat bike and put it on the new bike. When the new side stand arrives I'll put it on the fat bike. I don't often need to use a side stand on the fat bike.
side stand.png

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Yes and no. Bike shops do keep a reasonable range of things, and Wiggle delivers quite quickly. Some things off EBay can take a week or three if they're coming straight from China.
Personally, I avoid Temu / Wish and , to a degree, Ebay. Back in 2021 I ordered a few rear mechs and such like that were fake rubbish and just wouldn't work properly

I ordered the trigger shifters through Amazon, and the side stand through eBay. I don't care much for eBay, either; there's a lot of garbage posing as genuine parts.
My two LBSs carry an amazing stock of parts. They just didn't have the 2-point side stand. I have bought a new freewheel from one of the LBSs. For such a tiny shop they stock a lot. I just bought a new bike from them.

I've seen the single point side stand but I don't like the idea of only mounting to the chain stay.
I looked at Temu and couldn't find what I need. For the time being I robbed the 2-point side stand from my fat bike and put it on the new bike. When the new side stand arrives I'll put it on the fat bike. I don't often need to use a side stand on the fat bike.
View attachment 709102

Temus is the same except it only mounts on the lower bar

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Temus is the same except it only mounts on the lower bar

The chain stay on the fat bike is sort of rectangular-ish and a single point side stand might work well. The new bike has a round chain stay and a single point may start to move outward. Still, the two point is on its way, now. I guess what I've ordered isn't an everyday part so it's not worth a bike shop getting a dozen in stock. Other items are plentiful. Two years ago I needed a 20-tooth freewheel to fix a friend's trike and they had one in stock. It's just me, the awkward one.^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Far cry from the day this was made. CroMo frame made in US, same with the rims. Shimano group. When Schwinn made good bikes on a par with UK and Europe.

2014-05-13 18.47.29.jpg

Top Bottom