Octalink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farky

Hi Guys, bit of a dilemma. Yesterday I has happy to receive my new carbon crank set (octalink) only to get home and realise it doesn't fit on my octalink BB. Why would this not fit? Is there more than once size octalink BB?

I am fairly confident this is the BB on my bike:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2337

And is it different to this one with regard to the size of the splines?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=908

What does the 'ES' number relate to?

So many questions but your help would be very much appreciated!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
road and mtb octalink are slightly different

RedBike

I can't see the links at work.

Are you sure they're both Octalink and not Isis?

Can you get other makes of crackset that are Octalink is Octalink a shimano brand name?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
There are two versions of Octalink. V2 has distinctly longer and slightly wider splines. Both the BBs in your links are Octalink V2. I had the same worries when I bought some Ritchey cranks which didn't specify which BB they fitted.

V1 BB spline grooves 5 mm long, ridges 2.2 mm wide.
V2 BB spline grooves 9 mm long, ridges 2.8 mm wide.

Sheldon brown has some pics here, so you should be able to tell by looking at the length of the splines/grooves on your cranks.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Back again!! I'm clearly not as technically minded as I thought I was because I've been in touch with Chan Reaction Cycles (where I got the chain set from) and they're telling me that they've sent me a bottom bracket that will fit but, I just can't get the pair to have a happy relationship...

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? The splines on the BB seem to be about half a mm too big and I do have V2 (I had V1 on my bike to start with and the splines were about 1.5mm too big).

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

All sorted now. They'd sent me a V2 instead of V1.

Top Bottom