Odd clicking noise coming from somewhere

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
Have a nagging clicking noise on my road bike (Spesh Allex Triple). I think it's linked to the drive somewhere as it's not there when free wheeling. I think it's coming from the front mech (Sora) rather than the rear (Tiagra), possibly from the crank or bottom bracket.

The bike is well maintained (i think) and the mechanism is cleaned and re-greased every 2 or 3 weeks.

I've done about 800 miles in it over the last year or so.

When moving along in a high gear without really pushing it the noise goes, but when there's any effort it comes back.

I'm thinking about popping it in to the LBS on saturday, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

If its not there when you are freewheeling, it could be your front or back derailleur may not be setting itsself to the correct position having engaged up or down during the gear change, so the chain might be just catching a chainwheel or sproket. I would ride the bie about and play with the gear change levers to see if you can find out which Mech. might be causing the problem

Keith Oates

Janner
On one bike that I had there was an annoying clicking sound which took me a long time to pin point and it turned out to be the seat needed to be tightened on the top of the seat post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have a good look at the chain, I once heard a bloke's chain ticking shortly before it snapped. Otherwise try adjusting the cable length on the rear derailleur; likely it has stretched a little and is beginning to go out of adjustment. You need to screw the adjuster out by a turn or so.

Matty

I had an intermittent tick tick tick from the rear on my new bike. Transpired it was the join on the rear rim. Odd one! The fix was new wheels FOC, good one LBS.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
Just had something similar - turned out one of the saddle rails had a hairline crack in it. Does it happen when you stand on the pedals?
The saddle noise didn't seem to be linked to revolutions of the crank, but got worse with a faster cadence. At speed in a high gear it was silent.

I'm hoping I've solved an odd ticking that was coming from my bike; I only really noticed it when I was in the small ring (38T) out of the saddle. I've tightened up my BB and found out my rear gear hanger was very loose too, so I've tightened that also, hopefully one of them was the source of the noise.

I'm hoping I've solved an odd ticking that was coming from my bike; I only really noticed it when I was in the small ring (38T) out of the saddle. I've tightened up my BB and found out my rear gear hanger was very loose too, so I've tightened that also, hopefully one of them was the source of the noise.

Took it on a club run today, no click :smile: it was one of those things :smile::smile::smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I had an annoying click on my Scott Speedster. It stopped (after much messing about) when I fitted new inner tubes. The new ones didnt have threads or niuts on the valve stems so I think the old valve stem nuts must have been clicking against the rim. Try tightening the valve nuts or taking them off.

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
i think i might have sorted it. There were a few things that weren't totally tight. Left pedal. Rear mech on seat post. BB was very clogged up too so given that a good clean and re-lube.

But i think the main culprit is the cleat in my right shoe was very loose!

Been for a quick spin round the block and it seems ok :rolleyes:

Top Bottom