Offa's Dyke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calibanzwei

Afternoon all,
I've got a birthday coming up and a cousins wedding to attend - basically I'll be cycling Warrington to Swindon over a couple of days (the easy bit) and then a meandering week to get to Llangollen for a friends housewarming, before heading home.
I'm considering using sections of Offa's Dyke (starting at Chepstow) - apparently only 35% of it is bridleway - and so I'll be looking at (hopefully) running parallel to it using roads as much as possible.
Has anyone else attempted this?

Cheers

Bodhbh

Guru
Me and a mate planned to do it last year between Abergavenny and up to Chester. I was a good ride, but iirc we did very little or maybe none of the actualy dyke in the end, which seemed more trouble than it was worth to stick to too closely. The highlights on the route were passing over Long Mynd in Shropshire and the Gospel Pass between Abergavenny and Hye on Wye.

I've walked the section up on the ridge parallel to the road up Gospel Pass and it's a well worth doing, if not the best part of the dyke, but it's not a bridleway.

Good thing about that route too, is you can tune how difficult you want depending which side of the border you stay on.

Bodhbh

Guru
PS if you want a bit of inspiration, the old BBC documentary "In Search of Offa" with Michael Wood is well worth chasing up on Youtube. You might be inspired to stick to it better than we did :smile:.

OP
OP
calibanzwei

calibanzwei

I was a good ride, but iirc we did very little or maybe none of the actualy dyke in the end, which seemed more trouble than it was worth to stick to too closely. The highlights on the route were passing over Long Mynd in Shropshire and the Gospel Pass between Abergavenny and Hye on Wye.
I've walked the section up on the ridge parallel to the road up Gospel Pass and it's a well worth doing, if not the best part of the dyke, but it's not a bridleway.
Good thing about that route too, is you can tune how difficult you want depending which side of the border you stay on.

Cool, cheers. As you've pointed out and from what I've been reading, sticking to the Dyke might be laborious, but I'm sure the area is quite lovely! :biggrin:

PS if you want a bit of inspiration, the old BBC documentary "In Search of Offa" with Michael Wood is well worth chasing up on Youtube. You might be inspired to stick to it better than we did :smile:.

Will do!

Top Bottom