"Oh deary deary me" was what i said. - First flat!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Strick

Well, it was going to happen sooner or later I suppose.
On my way in to work when i noticed things felt different, looked down, and yup - flat tyre! Now, I havent yet "gotten around to" getting myself sorted with some kit, so was VERY lucky that it happened about 1/4 of a mile from work, meaning a short walk.
It gave me the kick up the wotsit I need to get sorted now.
I briefly considered popping it down to the LBS for them to repair and buying the stuff while i'm there, but that seems a bit counter-productive with regards to me learning to do it for myself. So i'm going to get the stuff and give it a crack later. The plan is to try to patch it, but also buy an inner tube to keep as a spare.
So, I intend getting a replacement tube, and some patches, and tyre levers. Anything else I need to get? I already have a pump.
I have in the past bought some "scabs" (I think they were called) self adhesive patches for my sons balance bike. Are these any good for general cycling too?
I have also seen self sealing inner tubes - what's all this about?
Lastly, my biggest fear was a rear wheel puncture, so that is of course what I got. Any tips for getting the wheel off with regards to the chain and gears etc?
Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Put the chain into the smallest cog at the back, take the quick release off the brake anne then take the wheel out. Simples

Matthames

Über Member
Lastly, my biggest fear was a rear wheel puncture, so that is of course what I got. Any tips for getting the wheel off with regards to the chain and gears etc?

Put the gear into the smallest sprocket on the back and then it is just a simple case of just dropping out the rear wheel. Assuming that you have quick release this should take seconds and you would be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Before putting a repaired or new inner tube in the tyre, make sure what ever caused the flat is not still there.

Another top tip, when it comes to putting on the tyre I am pretty fussy about how the markings on the side wall line up with things like the tyre valve and markings on the rim. The reason I do that is because it can help to both locate the area on the inner tube that you need to repair or locate the area to look in the tyre to see if the cause is still there.

OP
OP
Strick

Strick

Thanks for the speedy replies guys.
Wheel now off. Matthames; you were right! What was all the fuss about indeed??!!!
Mrs Strick has to pop in to town today anyway, so i have given her a shopping list to drop to to me.
The boss is leaving early tonight, so I should be able to get it all sorted and back together and leave no later than normal. :becool:
Thanks again fellas.

abo

Two things I would say; mark the tyre and the rim before you take the tyre off, then you can easily check the tyre for the cause of the puncture and make sure it isn't still in there. And get good quality tyre levers! I had some plastic ones, they bent while I was putting a tyre on last time :angry: I got some metal reinforced ones now; plastic on the outside so they won't destroy your rim but metal on the inside so they are nice and sturdy. Though I'm lucky enough not to have needed to use them yet :biggrin:

OP
OP
Strick

Strick

I found the culprit fairly easily. Seems to be a thorn of some kind. Think i'm going to have to pull it the rest of the way through though, as it doesnt want to come back out the way it went in!!

davefb

Guru
spare inner tubes ;)..

gah, make sure you dont make my mistake of not checking the wheel runs freely instead of touching the brakes each revolution after putting the back wheel back on........... that was a ti(y)ring cycle home !!

bah that reminds me, i've a couple of inner tubes i need to fix :smile:

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
spare inner tubes ;)..

Yep. Since I hate doing repairs on the trail I tend to carry a spare tube with me. Cuts down on the buggering about looking for a hole time. Just swap out the tube and patch it when you get home. And just in case, I carry a few patches as well.

Mad at urage

Put the chain into the smallest cog at the back, take the quick release off the brake anne then take the wheel out. Simples
Also !!! Don't forget to reconnect the quick release on the brake after you've finished !!!

Sounds stupid, but in the excitement of getting moving again it is easily overlooked.*

*Yes, that's how I know :blush: (and not just once but m.....)

OP
OP
Strick

Strick

Well, in the end the tube turned out to be like a tea bag, so got replaced.
Pumped both tyres up nice and hard and had a good ride home. :thumbsup:

Got to pretty much the same spot this morning and picked up a small twig on my front wheel. As it was annoying me going round, I pulled over and removed it. "Pfffffftttttttttt............" :sad: At this point I did actually laugh. As I say, was pretty close to work, so thought I would keep going, and chuck some more air in if need be to get me here, then sort it out here. As it happens, the hole was that small that the tyre stayed fairly well inflated all the way.
Within half an hour of being here, I had had a quick wash, changed, eaten some cereal, and removed the wheel, patched the tube, and built the bike back up ready for the ride home tonight.
Certainly proving to be a good learning experience. :laugh:

Top Bottom