Oh no i'm OBESE !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saddle bum

Über Member
I'm 1.75m and weight in at 90kg. (This morning, after 30 miles yesterday).

My TANITA electronic scales give me a BMI of 25.5-26.5 (it varies). But that is supposed to be an actual measurement based on your hydration level.

The calculated figure is much higher.

I still have 6-10 kilos to lose.

The medics seem to take no account of "build". My Osteopath says I'm "built big", hence my relatively poor power/weight ration - I don't climb hills, I "get up" them. My doctor seems to think I should weigh 70kg. I would look like a refugee.

walker

BMI Should be scraped from the health issues. It is so inaccurate it's untrue. When it was first invented by some german Dude it was deemed the point of everyones perfect body size

battered

Guru
It's just a simple measure, and like any simple measure in isolation it doesn't tell the full story. It doesn't work for anyone who isn't an "average" shape. Mike Tyson, aged 21 and HW World Champ, had a BMI of over 30. That ought to be obese but a glance at him with his shirt off would explain everything.

Dunno iof it was here I said it but when I was in France I had a 2 yearly medical. They recorded height and weight but the test for overweight was a glance up and down while you had your shirt off.

gavintc

Guru
BMI Should be scraped from the health issues. It is so inaccurate it's untrue. When it was first invented by some german Dude it was deemed the point of everyones perfect body size

Yes, but I am sure the people posting on here with high BMI scores will attest to the fact that their beer belly is not a nice sight. Excuses for being fat do not fool to many people.

PK99

Legendary Member
weight (in kg) divided by height (in metres)^2 is not a straight line.  I've never heard of anyone using a straight line.

but BMI is still bollocks.

i upped my cycling from occasional to 6-8000 mpy, weight (hence BMI) stayed the same yet i pulled from the back of the wardrobe trousers i had grown out of years ago as weight shifted from blubber to lower body muscle..

I think BMI is a load of tripe for healthy fit adults. A fit person carries more mass than the average unfit person but in muscle not fat. According to a bmi calculator I have a index of 19.2 almost perfect for my height but although below the waist I may be perfectly healthy I feel I'm under weight above it.

darkstar

BMI is only meant to be used a a guideline isn't it? Of course it will be wrong if the individual has a decent muscle mass, but for the general public, it's a good system to asses your target weight loss etc.

Top Bottom