Ohhhhh! The Brom on the Rhine is all mine all mine ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Yesterday was the Brommie on the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal. Eat your heart out FF!

Again down dodgy towpaths I wouldn't trust my road bike and in mufti too. Ending at the Red Lion in Langley (3 course senior lunch @ £6.95 washed down with a couple of pints of Abbot). Back on the train/tube/overground to the sun kissed hinterland of Sarf London. Life is very good when you have a Freedom Pass and a Brompton. Hopefully heaven comes equipped with the Titanium model and velvet lanes. Hell the A-bike and cobbles?

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yesterday was the Brommie on the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal. Eat your heart out FF!

Again down dodgy towpaths I wouldn't trust my road bike and in mufti too. Ending at the Red Lion in Langley (3 course senior lunch @ £6.95 washed down with a couple of pints of Abbot). Back on the train/tube/overground to the sun kissed hinterland of Sarf London. Life is very good when you have a Freedom Pass and a Brompton. Hopefully heaven comes equipped with the Titanium model and velvet lanes. Hell the A-bike?

A couple of pints of Abbot?

At lunchtime?

At your age?

And riding a bike home afterwards?

Good effort, squire.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Again down dodgy towpaths I wouldn't trust my road bike and in mufti too. Ending at the Red Lion in Langley (3 course senior lunch @ £6.95 washed down with a couple of pints of Abbot). Back on the train/tube/overground to the sun kissed hinterland of Sarf London. Life is very good when you have a Freedom Pass and a Brompton. Hopefully heaven comes equipped with the Titanium model and velvet lanes. Hell the A-bike?
Fab!
Me and the Brommie might hit the Wandle trail tomorrow morning!
Interesting your comment about mufti. My 2 rides on the Rhine were just in craghoppers a T-shirt and a Paramo. It felt great. Is never contemplate 32 miles on any other if my bikes in that gear. It was very comfortable. Lycra feels somehow wrong. A pair if Humvees might be the thing or padded undercrackers and keep the oh so trendy Craghoppers!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Fantastic. How did you transport it on the plane - did you buy a heard case for it?
Yep!
I bought a Polaris Eva B bike pod. Its like a large wheely case.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Worked a treat. With the above clutter inside it weighed 20.3kg.

snorri

Legendary Member
From the second trip out ....
Thanks for bringing back some cycle tour happy memories FF:smile:.
I spent a couple of nights in the Hotel la Vigie in Duisburg last summer, best view from any hotel restaurant I've stayed at.
(of course that assumes similar interests to mine:rolleyes:)

Sara_H

Guru
Did the job. Such a benefit to be able to take it with me on certain trips. I can't jog any more for exercise it keeps me away from the bar that bit longer and helps burn off those business calories!
Do you think it offers as much protection as a hard case?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Do you think it offers as much protection as a hard case?
It's a semi hard case, I imagine it's pretty tough. It was specifically designed in conjunction with Brompton. When all zipped up it's pretty stiff and rigid. There are a couple of very solid cases out there but they are much
heavier and unless your Brompton is really light you would be over the 20kg limit most airlines stipulate.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Thanks for bringing back some cycle tour happy memories FF:smile:.
I spent a couple of nights in the Hotel la Vigie in Duisburg last summer, best view from any hotel restaurant I've stayed at.
(of course that assumes similar interests to mine:rolleyes:)
I've a funny feeling I've stayed there .... Resteraunt at the top, view if the barges and port?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Yes! With access between bedrooms and restaurant via a glass sided lift attached to the outside of the building:smile:.
Correct! I'd forgotten the glass lift. At the time we used to stay there when the Hotel Rheingarten ( another tower block) on the other side of the river was full. Small world. :-)

Top Bottom