OK, definition please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Having never ventured in here before I have have a question.

Is it 'fixed' as in single speed with free wheel or 'fixed' as in no freewheel and no gears or are there other 'fixed' options?

I was just pondering about cargo quadricycle gears. Thinking of lots of gears but no freewheel to allow for reversing.

bonj2

Fixed != single speed.
i.e., fixed gear and fixed wheel both mean 'a fixie'. I.e., no gears, and no freewheel.
There are those, that want to cash in on the action and pretend that fixed gear means singlespeed, but it is largely only the singlespeed brigade. Fixed gear is synonymous with fixed wheel.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Fixed = no freewheel.
Singlespeed (SS) = one gear with a freewheel.

Generally, fixed is just one gear, although there are 3 speed fixies using the Sturmey Archer ASC or new S3X hub.

IMHO, anyway :biggrin:

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
OK, that clarifies things then. Generally speaking fixed means good old fashioned no gears and no freewheel. All other options would be described as such. Great, thanks. :biggrin:

Big John

Guru
Brilliant in it's simplicity. I've tried explaining to folks at work what a fixie is but that's the best description yet! :o)

Greenbank

Über Member
TheDoctor said:
Generally, fixed is just one gear, although there are 3 speed fixies using the Sturmey Archer ASC or new S3X hub.

Part of the fixed ethos is that you pick a gear big enough that you can get up the majority of hills on it, and learn to spin going down the other side in order to build souplesse.

IMHO, having a choice of gears, even if you can't freewheel, just misses the point. It's not the fact you can't freewheel, it's getting the trade-off between grimping up the climbs and spinning out on the descents right.

Any gear change (such as a flip/flop hub or dingle) is allowed as it requires not just a stop but a reasonable faff to change the gear. Something you simply wouldn't do for each climb/descent.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SA used to market the ASC as a winter training gear; "the gear that keeps you pedalling". People who've ridden one say it feels nothing at all like a proper fixed wheel; OK, you can't freewheel, but there is a lot of slop between "driving" and "braking".

Maniacs with access to workshop tools can convert an AW hub into a two-speed fixed. Those with deep pockets and a willingness to scour the world for obscure vintage product can buy a TF hub, a very neat little thing.

Top Bottom