ok i get it now, i'm gunna get wet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
last night i did 100km, yipeee. but coming home it rained hard. i had an endura 'waterproof' jacket and 'waterproof' pants. i had helly base layers top n bottom. i had a thin fleece mid layer. seal skins 'waterproof' gloves. 2 buffs on my head. luckily it was mild or i would have been in trouble. so i get it now, i'm gunna get wet no matter how i try to stay dry. but which is the best way to layer? i'm thinking thermal tights, base layer, mid layer and some sort of windproof top. do cycling jerseys offer this? any other ideas, comments welcome

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've only been really uncomfortable during a wet winter ride when either my gloves or footwear have been inadequate. Correct gloves for the season and overshoes if it's wet and/or cold.

On winter rides i'd normally have on a base layer, jersey and over that either a windproof / waterproof top or a gilet depending on conditions.

If it rains enough you will get wet, but as long as you stay warm enough it won't be really unpleasant. Note that different people feel the cold to different degrees and in different parts of their bodies (my feet get cold before anything else) so it requires a bit of experience to work out what to wear. Best to overestimate though.

gavintc

Guru
shauncollier said:
last night i did 100km, yipeee. but coming home it rained hard. i had an endura 'waterproof' jacket and 'waterproof' pants. i had helly base layers top n bottom. i had a thin fleece mid layer. seal skins 'waterproof' gloves. 2 buffs on my head. luckily it was mild or i would have been in trouble. so i get it now, i'm gunna get wet no matter how i try to stay dry. but which is the best way to layer? i'm thinking thermal tights, base layer, mid layer and some sort of windproof top. do cycling jerseys offer this? any other ideas, comments welcome

Jeez, where do you live - the arctic? I am not surprised you are getting wet, it is from sweat.

Personally, I only try to keep my trunk dry and have a good jacket, and will layer it with either a base layer or just a cycling jersey. On the bottom half, some cycling tights over bibs or just leg warners and bibs if it is mild.

GrasB

Veteran
I surrender to the wet, if I keep the rain off I get way to hot, sweat bucket loads & dehydrate. So instead of trying to keep dry I try to keep warm. Basically I drop a layer or go thinner & then replace that with a windproof item that stays windproof when wet. Works well for me as I can still ride quickly & don't dehydrate :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Yes you will get wet, as with the others the secret is to stay warm.

shauncollier said:

You must be soft, I did 200km wearing a mankini!:biggrin:

As the rest say- you will get wet. To prevent chest colds I wedge a piece of bubble-wrap (which I have resisted popping) down me front as it stops the wet and wind.

RedBike

Mudguards and overshoes to keep the spray out then just except the waters going to find a way of soaking in no matter how hard you try.

As others have posted. Whatever stays warm / dries quickly. Waterproof garments are often just as good at keeping water (and sweat) in as they are out.

papacojones

(which I have resisted popping)

I don't think this is possible for most people.:biggrin:

+1 wet and warm.
+1 Merino- Theres a reason why wool has been used for millenia. Its great.

A good gilet is the cyclists best friend imo.

Top Bottom