Okay Bike Locks again! Kryptonite Evloution Mini 7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
So, i've read loads (and i mean at least 40) reviews and forums posts on different locks and I'm struggling to be honest! There's just too much choice!

Here's what I want to achieve.

I have a Chris Boardman Hybrid Comp 2010
I rarely leave it anywhere but need something strong just for that time in nip into the shop.

1. I want a D/U lock
2. I want to be able to secure the bike through the backwheel and main frame.
3. The lock needs to be relatively small and light as possible
4. Im on a budget of MAX £45

I've seen the Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7 with cable for £35 (amazon) and it seems to fit the bill ok, however im not sure if it will make point 2.
Will i be able to lock the frame and back wheel to something with this lock? or is it too small!

If anyone has any experience with this lock it would be greatly appreciated!

:smile:

It will be tight, but possible to fasten to a sheffield stand.

I just loop the wheel inside the rear triangle as it gives me a few extra mm for my mini D, but I have had to be a little more choosy about what to lock it too as there is not a great deal of surplus lock.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
It will be tight, but possible to fasten to a sheffield stand.

I just loop the wheel inside the rear triangle as it gives me a few extra mm for my mini D, but I have had to be a little more choosy about what to lock it too as there is not a great deal of surplus lock.

hmm, this is what makes me worry. I need to get this right first time. Are there any locks that are just slightly bigger than the mini7?

maybe a mini XL lol

I dont want a massive lock!

RufusA

Über Member
One word of warning about the Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7 as well as being short it is also quite narrow!

On my hybrid (a Specialized Sirrus) the distance between my rear wheel and seat post is too great for the narrow Evo Mini 7 to clamp them with the 'U' sticking out sideways. So even if there is a nearby object I can never reach it as my 'U' has to run front to back.

Instead I use a cable to lasso the front wheel/frame to an object and then secure the other end of the cable to the Mini 7 thats doing my seatpost/rear wheel! Not ideal but sufficient for a "nip in to the shop" level of security - YMMV!

Longer/wider d locks obviously give you more flexibility but are a thief magnet! The other week someone made a bit of a mess of my paintwork / front dérailleur trying to lever my longer/wider d lock off with a 8ft long chunk of wood. Unsuprisingly metal is stonger than wood, but I have now picked up the Mini as an added deterent!

HTH - Rufus.

Top Bottom