Old Bicycle Image

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SGSMan

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and would really like a little help. I am trying to date an old photograph of a couple of men with bicycles. Is it possible to get a rough date for the image from the design of the bikes.
Any help would be much appreciated.

WB P1020157.jpg

Cheers

SGSMan

midlife

Guru
Carbide lamp so after 1905 ish

Drago

Legendary Member
It does, of course, depend how old the bikes may already have been when the photo was taken.

If the bikes were new I would hazard a guess at late 1800s. Google tells me the straw boater was also popular at that time.

The first production bicycle lamps date to 1888, but didn't become widespread for another decade, so I'll go with very late 1800s, turn of the century.

Alternatively, it could have been @Accy cyclist last week.

Last edited:

V-CC

It dates to late 1890s. The cycle in the background is older than the other - perhaps 1897. The foreground cycle perhaps 1899. Both have inch pitch chain. The cycle in the foreground has toe clips that are illustrated in this Ravenscroft catalogue of 1899. Note no straps.

Ravencroft catalogue 1899.png

Could do more work on identification if there is interest.

goldcoastjon

V-CC: I suspect that these photos do not date from when the toeclips or the bikes were brand-new . Personally, I would date the photo as having been taken between 1905-1910, some years after the toeclips were first introduced. (How many of our own photos with our bikes were taken on the day that we purchased them new?) It takes time for new technological developments (pneumatic tires, toeclips, brakes, etc.) or new fashion styles to penetrate the market and be adopted...

It dates to late 1890s. The cycle in the background is older than the other - perhaps 1897. The foreground cycle perhaps 1899. Both have inch pitch chain. The cycle in the foreground has toe clips that are illustrated in this Ravenscroft catalogue of 1899. Note no straps.

View attachment 706753

Could do more work on identification if there is interest.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Neither of the bicycles look new, look especially at the one on viewer’s left saddle, starting to split around the rivet, they could be hand-me-downs. So turning to the men, upper-working class in appearance, (hands) their clothing, eg wide hat band and other details lead me to suspect the mid to late-Edwardian era.

OP
OP
S

SGSMan

Many thanks for all your replies and assistance regarding my bicycle image enquiry.

All very helpful.

Regarding the location of the image I believe it is in our around Spalding, Lincolnshire, UK.

Many thanks,

SGSMan

Top Bottom