Old Campag gear - any good ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
A friend has offered me (at a very reasonable price) a complete NOS Campag Victory groupset and Campag Montreal wheels.

I'm very tempted, but first, I'd be interested to read opinions on these. Are they decent quality items ? What is the equivalent of these today ?

Thank you

itisaboutthebike

Über Member
Jeeze - if its cheap stik on Flebay.mite be worth a bit (altho the C Record stuff - esp brakes -seems to fetch premium prices)

e-rider

crappy member
Campag Victory was one of the 'cheaper' groupsets back in its day and as a young lad back then it's what I had on my bike. If I remember correctly it was Campag's cheapest groupset like Xenon is today. Compared to todays components I'd say that it's OK but really nothing special. However, there is great interest in these older groupsets especially if they are in good condition. It would be worth quite a few quid on the internet auction site I would say. You could just polish it up and keep it in a box for a rainy day.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've just bought the lot ! Very cheaply !

I've a (NOS) Columbus SLX frame (of a similar age - I think) which needs building up - I'm hoping that they'll be a good match.

I've resisted the temptation (and expense!) of fitting a more modern groupset; time will tell if I've done the right thing.

mickle

innit
1984/85 groupset, pre-indexed, downtube shifters. Good stuff though, it would go well on a mid eighties steel frame.

Like my Colnago for example!

Rob S

tundragumski said:
Campag Victory was one of the 'cheaper' groupsets back in its day and as a young lad back then it's what I had on my bike. If I remember correctly it was Campag's cheapest groupset like Xenon is today.

I had the mechs on my bike at the time too....really wanted the brakes too but had to make do with Weinmann!!:angry:
Victory was the middle group of the new generation that came out in 1984 (Record,Victory and Triomphe) and the overall hiearchy was Record, Super Record, Nuovo Record, Victory, Gran Sport and Triomphe. It was good stuff designed to look just like the super stylish Record but less sleek.
It was replaced in 89 by Athena.

Top Bottom