Old friends popping off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's awful, really sorry to hear your news. It's so sad that people get to that state without being given the help they need.

It is very sad but when a person has decided they will take their own life they tend not to display suicidal tendencies. It's as if they've found an inner calm brought about by the decision they've made to end their internal torrment.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
In bed, aged ninety five, shot by a jealous husband.
I know you're a "try anything once" kind of guy, but I though gay marriage was even beyond you. ^_^

tyred

Legendary Member
The girl next who I played with even before we started school and had literally known all my life died a horrible death from liver cancer aged just 31. I've never quite got over shock:sad:

To make it worse, her husband committed suicide a few years later and they had two young children:sad:

alans

black belt lounge lizard
All very sad
These things are a reminder to get "it" done,whatever "it" may be, while you are able to.

As others have inferred you do get to an age where death becomes an increasingy frequent visitor to your own life & nothing reinforces your own mortality like Shepherd Death picking from your own flock.

Simarlily to Vernon I want to be raging against the dying of the light as I'm ferried across the River Styx.

Sympathies to Fnaar:sad:

Last edited:
you have my sympathies as well as my understanding.

I 'lost' my best friend 20 years ago next month - she took her own life as well. I won't go into the circumstances here, but in life she was a kind, sweet and very shy girl, the least selfish person I knew. What she did to her family (mostly relating to the circumstances surrounding her suicide and the fact that they had already lost 1 child), changed my view of her completely but I guess it was the only way I could deal with her suicide. She did teach me one thing though: I could never, ever do that to my family, no matter how bad things got, and they were very, very bad for a number of years.

3 weeks ago, I also learnt of the suicide of a lovely sweet girl we met on tour who was newly married then. We had only known the couple for 2.5 years (we had maintained contact) but that one has been no easier to deal with either.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
In the last 20 years I have had two old schoolfriends both took their own lives. One in 1995, the other in 2009. The death in 2009 affected me harder as the guy was one of two brothers who I grew up with. I sort of looked up to him and he got me into fossil hunting, rock collecting etc. He's probably the reason why I took a degree in Geology. I can't recall the last time I saw him alive but he seemed very chipper and had just got a new job.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My old friends seem to have had bits replaced, removed and restructured but largely I seem to have avoided the grim reaper by association so far. It's only a postponement though, I realise.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So far I've been rather lucky in that I've only lost a couple of friends, one to cancer 20 years ago, and even now I can't go over the old Severn Bridge without thinking about him and Bob Dylan and other times he pops into my mind. The other was suicide in 2012, it was someone I'd kept in touch by Christmas card and the occasional letter, always promising that we must get in touch and never quite doing. It was a shock to realise that he had gone and you wish you could have changed things. I do wish he hadn't chosen to step in front of a train, I'm not sure that really makes sense, I imagine they are desperate and don't think about how the death will effect others.

Top Bottom