Old Karrimor panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Have the opporturnity to buy some Karrimor panniers from an elderly gentleman over the web.

He assures me they're from age when Karrimor were actually Karrimor and made of cottom duck.

My concern is the mounting clips as Karrimor don't exist anymore. Is it possible to use non-Karrimor mounts if the originals ever broke?

I was leaning towards Carradice, as they still exist and the clips are available to buy as spares, but understand that the old K's are just as good.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Dell Zeqq of this parish kindly donated an old Karrimor to me. I've used it daily for months now without a problem. The clips don't look like they could be changed easily but they are very strong. It's an Iberia if that helps.

paul

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Thanks for the heads up Paul. What material the fabric - is it canvas or cotton duck?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Just realised it's under the desk in the office so took a picture ! It's like a waxy canvas, more so on the back and the clips can be changed now I've looked again.

b26a0610-2f08-555f.jpg

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Be warned!

I have the same or very similar panniers - my children mock me for using them and claim they must date from WWII.
(while still wanting to stuff their lunches and spare clothing in them when out for a family ride!).
rolleyes.gif

Well, bought the said panniers. They're brand new and still in packaging. The gentleman (must be in his mid 70s) bought them long ago and never got round to using them.

All black, cotton duck. Paid £25 - an absolute steal considering I was going to buy Carradice Super C at £80+.

Top Bottom