Old Wearwell help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

This is a great project! Looks like is being done to a very high standard! It's a shame to loose the 3 speed gear lever though :sad: As for your chain problem, if you tell me what brand it is I can fairly easily get you a period correct replacement chain of the same make. It's most likely a "Renold", a "Perry" or a "The Coventry" chain. I come across these very often so I can get one for you if need be. I also sell many other vintage bike parts so if you need anything else, even little nuts and bolts then just let me know. And have you ever thought about painting over the head badge? And filling the colours in where they would of originally been? Would take a very fine brush and a steady hand but would look amazing if done right.

OP
OP
ian c

ian c

Trying to find a correct era SA hub will be a challenge but I'm happy to play a waiting game for one, and as I have a 1960 version there may be someone in need of it so I have something to pass on or swap if need be.

I will have a look at the chain and come back to you - I have fitted it with a newish link inserted but that section really doesn't fit right and will rankle with me.

The head badge is a tricky one as the web doesn't come up with much as a guide to colours.From what I can find out the raised sections are in gold with probably a white background and some inserts being either red of blue, which is likely a cue to the Union Flag and maker's origin. I'm guessing that repainting it would consist of a gold coat pencilled over the raised sections, with the white background going in and the darker colours last, while any bleeding stopped by wiping back with a cloth. I'm a bit concerned with leaving lots of brush marks or removing paint by mistake. Perhaps having a play with another stamped badge taken from somewhere will help me decide if it would produce a result I would be happy with.

Last edited:

shadaboot27

Trying to find a correct era SA hub will be a challenge but I'm happy to play a waiting game for one, and as I have a 1960 version there may be someone in need of it so I have something to pass on or swap if need be.

I will have a look at the chain and come back to you - I have fitted it with a newish link inserted but that section really doesn't fit right and will rankle with me.

The head badge is a tricky one as the web doesn't come up with much as a guide to colours.From what I can find out the raised sections are in gold with probably a white background and some inserts being either red of blue, which is likely a cue to the Union Flag and maker's origin. I'm guessing that repainting it would consist of a gold coat pencilled over the raised sections, with the white background going in and the darker colours last, while any bleeding stopped by wiping back with a cloth. I'm a bit concerned with leaving lots of brush marks or removing paint by mistake. Perhaps having a play with another stamped badge taken from somewhere will help me decide if it would produce a result I would be happy with.

I can probably get you a 3 speed rear hub from the 30's too. I'll keep you in mind when I come across stuff and if i get the bits you need I'll let you know. And thats a good idea with the head badge, it would be best to practice on another first before you try the one on the frame.

OP
OP
ian c

ian c

A little bit of time cleaning up some of the usable parts remaining has got me this far today

5ncjDDw.jpg

The saddle frame was fine apart from a little bit of surface rust on the spars so a quick rub back and to coats of satin black MoD chassis paint have got them looking nice again. The saddle/post anchor had a meeting with the wire wheel before also receiving two coats of the same paint.

The pedals had already been stripped, with one stub axle shearing itself in the process along with a stay insert in a rubber block, but everything else looks reusable so I have loosely fitted one pedal back together minus bearings - the other needs those two broken items replacing. The ribbed pattern rubber blocks are beginning to crumble so they are of no use; I thought I had found some NOS replacements but they turned out to be only 3 ⅛" in length and these are 4".

The gear selector and cable guides have come up fairly well too. The selector face is a bit worn but the Sturmey Archer logo and speed setting are legible so I will just repaint the back plate, cable holder and clamp arrangement. I'm not entirely sure whether the cable guides should be painted or nickel plated.

shadaboot27

A little bit of time cleaning up some of the usable parts remaining has got me this far today

5ncjDDw.jpg

The saddle frame was fine apart from a little bit of surface rust on the spars so a quick rub back and to coats of satin black MoD chassis paint have got them looking nice again. The saddle/post anchor had a meeting with the wire wheel before also receiving two coats of the same paint.

The pedals had already been stripped, with one stub axle shearing itself in the process along with a stay insert in a rubber block, but everything else looks reusable so I have loosely fitted one pedal back together minus bearings - the other needs those two broken items replacing. The ribbed pattern rubber blocks are beginning to crumble so they are of no use; I thought I had found some NOS replacements but they turned out to be only 3 ⅛" in length and these are 4".

The gear selector and cable guides have come up fairly well too. The selector face is a bit worn but the Sturmey Archer logo and speed setting are legible so I will just repaint the back plate, cable holder and clamp arrangement. I'm not entirely sure whether the cable guides should be painted or nickel plated.

Looking good! One thing I should add though. I don't think that saddle is original to the bike. It looks like a typical late 50's saddle. The original would of probably been black and made of a sort of canvas material rather than the plasticy stuff that the red one is made of. Or it might of originally had a leather brooks saddle.

OP
OP
ian c

ian c

I'm a bit suspicious about the saddle myself to be honest, but it will be fine for now until I happen to drop on something a bit more period.

OP
OP
ian c

ian c

Setting up the rear brake is proving to be a pain, not helped by the bought-in wheel being frankly quite poor - whoever trued it up was easily pleased - and the chain being just plain wrong now. Shad, I couldn't find a brand name on the chain so it could be anything but I'll have another look and get in touch.

shadaboot27

Setting up the rear brake is proving to be a pain, not helped by the bought-in wheel being frankly quite poor - whoever trued it up was easily pleased - and the chain being just plain wrong now. Shad, I couldn't find a brand name on the chain so it could be anything but I'll have another look and get in touch.

I'll let you know as soon as I get some more parts in. Hopefully I'll have a good chain for you.

Top Bottom