"Older" newbie first time on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Betabet

Hi
I'm 47 and took a "notion" to buy a bike. Main reason for this is the following: When I was 45 I took a "notion" for losing weight and to do this I started running (a minor miracle as I was a chubster size 16 never exercised in my life). I kept running and now a size ten but I keep getting injured when running, hence the bike. I bought a Hybrid off Gumtree (haven't got a clue what type etc but a couple of people in the know have said its quite a good one). Been out on it once, cycled about 3 miles, ffw to the next few days and I could hardly walk, thigh muscles and sore bum. Also I haven't got a clue about the brake changing thing. So I suppose its a two part question, first about the brakes, and secondly how do I start to get my speed up and improve my technique. I'm a bit scared on the road (Glasgow) so I would probably just cycle to the park and cycle within there.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Betabet, :welcome: to CC from Glasgow!
Have you heard about the Glasgow Belles on Bikes?
Have a wee look here
There is a beginners skill lesson on Thursday evening you could attend, details here
If you mean the gear changing thing, nae worries, all will be revealed in time.
Hope to cycle with you soon :hello:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Hello :cheers:

I did a similar thing, taking up running at 29 despite being huge and having never exercised at all and after a year or so picked up cycling too. There's probably parts of your leg muscles you've not built up from running that are trying to catch up now so will hurt a bit and the sore bum should get better the more you can keep weight on the pedals by pedalling :smile: I think making sure you've got the bike set up the right way for you is important too. Sorry im not much use on your questions, but I think it'll help if you can identify the bike or the brakes, or post a picture of it. To start with I think its best just to get out and cycle and you should keep improving nicely :smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Plenty of resources on bike fit on the internet. Once you figure out the right fit and placement, give the riding another try. I'm guessing some of the pain is caused by muscular exertion, some by fit issues, and some by riding in the wrong gear. These problems sort themselves with a bit of advice here and there along with some time on the bike. Stick with it, the bike is great exercise and transportation

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Betabet and :welcome:.

I'm not sure I understand the "brake changing" question. Do you mean gears? Can you explain the trouble you're having a bit more?

Starting off is always the difficult bit. You will ache and be saddle sore after quite short distances to start with, but this will ease quite quickly as you get into it so don't let it put you off.

Getting quicker is really just a case of getting out, riding as often as you can and increasing the distance you do every so often. You'll get quicker without really realising.:thumbsup:

Enjoy!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Try not to worry about the aches and pains, we all suffered at the beginning ( and we still do....!)
Don't worry about your fitness day to day, keep it up and reflect on your improvement in 2 months, then at the end of the summer, it'll be massive.

tonfishs

good idea,then at the end of the summer, it'll be massive.thanks for your sharing,
11.gif

Top Bottom