Oldies but goodies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1995 Cannondale M500 love this bike...recently upgraded to 10 speed so new back wheel...original Sun front wheel still straight and true after 20 odd years. Tube welds are super smoot
20170121_114551.jpg
20170121_114605.jpg
20170121_114855.jpg
20170121_114744.jpg
h and huge frame makes it ride like a hybrid...its a real 'take anywhere' bike.

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Aaah holy thread resurrection.....

Just back from a ride on my good old 1996 Mongoose Rockadile SX. I did spend further on it: about 44 quid for a set of Avid Elixirs, 16 quid for a handlebar and $9 quid for a new stem. Another 35 quid for SRAM X5 shifters and I also went for the widest front tyre I could get -a Panaracer Swoop 26x2.4 at 20 quid. So have spent another 124 quid on it. I've spent 310 quid on it during the last four years now, and probably at least another 400 quid on tyres, replacement drivechain, etc prior to that. Now it really is done for upgrades.

But the nicest thing is I'm riding a 24 year old bike and having a ton of fun. Again, theoretically a poor investment (or is it? The cost of the bike new plus 700 quid for 24 years of riding?). The other nice thing is I feel like I really haven't compromized; for the style of riding I do -sedate xc, I have a 9 speed SRAM based drivechain which is supremely smooth, great tyres, dropper seatpost, for me great suspension and one finger braking with excellent power and modulation..... Yeah, I don't have slack geometry, but again I'm doing mild xc, so no problem.

mongoose.jpg

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
My (very unkempt) mid 1980’s Muddy Fox Courier Mega. I know it looks fit for the skip, but this bike has never let me down - it all just works ... except very recently when the front brake pulley within the headset finally had enough and gave up. It’s done thousands of miles over the years for it’s uncaring owner - I once considered a full renovation but I’d rather put my money into road bikes - this really is ’Old Reliable’.

Glad this thread is resurrected....since my Jan 2017 post the Cannondale has had some serious use and still never fails to impress. Don't get me wrong, the brakes are terrible by modern disc standards and ride is jittery on really rough stuff, but 99% of the time it is an absolute joy to ride. I had no idea when I took my shiny new bike home on the ferry from Kowloon to Lantau in 1995 that I would still have it 25 years later.
A few recent rides:

Top Bottom