Olympic RR at Box Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all.
I have heard rumours that LOCOG are not allowing spectators to take bikes on Box Hill on the day of the ORR. Anyone know of this is true??
I don't want to bag a ticket only to be turned away for being a cyclist!
Cheers.

musa

Über Member
I believe so. Couple of other threads have mentioned this. Not sure though

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would steer well clear of Boxhill on the day - I think it'll be bedlam. Find a sport somewhere further round the 9 lap loop section and watch it there. That's my plan. The only downside being that once they have gone past for the 9th loop, I need to get back home or to a TV, if I want to see the finish. Could be tricky, unless I draft the lantern rouge all the way back and peel off at Kingston? :tongue:

BSRU

A Human Being
Why is it essential to be there with a bike? Why not park bike/car somewhere close, then walk up the hill.
Probably because professional bike thief's will be patrolling the area looking for bikes not looked securely enough.

siadwell

Guru
Why is it essential to be there with a bike? Why not park bike/car somewhere close, then walk up the hill.

I think you'd struggle to get anywhere near with a car (or maybe even with a bike!). There's still no detail on road closures, but I found this on http://www.getaheadofthegames.com/travelinaffectedareas/surrey-road-race.html:

Roads that are being used for the Road Cycling routes will be closed, and restrictions and measures will be put in place on some of the surrounding roads. These temporary changes will be in operation hours before events begin until a few hours after events finish. So, disruptions to roads may occur from early in the morning to late evening.

OP
OP
KernowCyclist

KernowCyclist

Regular
Thanks all.
Hmmm, sounds like there's not much point getting onto box hill really. Think we'll try somewhere else on the loop.

Not driving to the area (from Devon), taking the train and riding from paddington.
Wouldn't want to leave my bike anywhere where it might be nicked!
Cheers all.

OP
OP
KernowCyclist

KernowCyclist

Regular
Ha ha, love it!
Knowing my luck I'd only get given an asbo!

Top Bottom