Olympique Mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've just bought a very nice French made 'Olympique' mixte bike, after the missus fell in love with it.
I've been trying to research this particular model, but seem to be drawing a blank - very little on the internet, in fact only three references and one of those is for the bike I've bought!
It's all original with Huret 10 speed gears, dynamo lights etc and in vgc.
I cant post pictures at the moment, being a new member, but the bike is basically identical to this one: http://www.blackbeardbicycles.co.uk/#!siver-olympique-mixte/ceon
Does anyone have any information about this particular model that might be useful?
Ta.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: Nice looking bike, never eard of em though, but spares/replacements should be pretty standard though but the BB might be French threads

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Couldn't find out much either but they do do seem to have been around for a long time, since the twenties at least. If you can't post a pic you can put up a link to a photo sharing site.
All the running gear should be farly standard except the BB as raleighnut says.
image.jpg

Seems interest free was popular even then!

image.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice, typically French. Looks in reasonable condition for the age. I would say it's from the mid/late sixties, maybe a little later unless someone else knows better. Are they Mafac brakes? Just be aware they won't work in the wet on those chrome rims, best get some replacement blocks. What are your plans for it?

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Very nice, typically French. Looks in reasonable condition for the age. I would say it's from the mid/late sixties, maybe a little later unless someone else knows better. Are they Mafac brakes? Just be aware they won't work in the wet on those chrome rims, best get some replacement blocks. What are your plans for it?

Bike is being delivered on Thursday - will be able to check it out thoroughly then.
Missus is going to use it for a bit of 'chic posing' along the Tarka Trail and around Barnstaple - lol
She might possibly do one of the 'Velovintage' runs, or even the 'Eroica' next year.
This is just one more bike in the stable....................

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Lovely, and I agree about the saddle.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
What an absolutely lovely looking bike. I think its the bars that sets it off perfectly. You're right about the saddle. It looks as if some unfortunate has caught his nadgers under the rails!

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
It's arrived!
General condition is good/used/generally looked after. Gears and brakes all work OK, but I've had to swap the brakes over as they were on the 'Continental' side. I've also changed the saddle to a narrower white and silver one that came off her old Giant Escape - suits it quite well, I think.

Mixte 004.JPG

Just needs a new set of tyres (ordered), adjustment of rear wheel bearings, truing of the rear wheel (slight buckle) and a good check over before I let her loose on it.
She should have a lot of fun on this one. :girldance:

Last edited:
Top Bottom